Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brick wall demolition expert!

This link brings up his medal card: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D8016811

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Shropgirl View Post
    Some family letters have indicated a drowning in canal of a child sometime between 1901 and 1911 in Cardiff.
    It seems we started looking for a dead person but now we're chasing up a live one

Would it be possible to tell us exactly what the letter says?

The letter written some years ago provided information on the 15 children and at the end stated 'I was told one child died in the canal'.

Re: The Merchant Navy Link - if James Ernest is not the child who drowned then this would be a possibility as 3 of his brothers were engineers in the merchant service . I have seen this record at Southampton Archives who hold the originals.

Thinking maybe he did survive to adulthood - today ordered copy of a marriage cert for 1916 James E Gardner to Laura Williams in Cardiff. So that should give me an answer.

Thanks everyone for your interest.

Pleased to report brick wall demolished as far as James Ernest is concerned. Marriage cert for 1916 proved that he is the person I was looking for.

Good news, but another brick wall has emerged. Fifteen Gardner children born and two died according to 1911 census - 14 are now accounted for - so it's back to the drawing board. This is what makes Family History such a fascinating hobby!

Nicolina

silly thought time. Is it possibe that a second child was given the same name as it's dead sibling?

Yes, that is a possibility worth investigating. I have already discovered it was quite a regular occurrence for that family to give a child two christian names, only for that child to be known by the second.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12