holibobsue

Default Eighth Army Corps

Can any body tell me which corps my father is likely to have been in? He is likely to have joined from Manchester and he was in the Eighth Army in North Africa and Italy; when he was alive he talked about being a 'sapper' - what rank is this? He also talked about blowing up mines in fields but I am not sure where. I have a photo of him taken in Sicily but am unsure of the year.

I have started to look at records and it is overwhelming and so I am trying to narrow down my search area.

Many thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Have a read of this it will give you a little insight to the Eighth Army.

World War II, EIGHTH ARMY: DEEDS AND DATES
    www.warlinks.com/pages/8thdeeds.php Cached
    EIGHTH ARMY: DEEDS AND DATES from the "Eighth Army News" for July 30, 1945 The Eighth Army was formed in September, 1941, and placed under the command of Lt-Gen ...

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

You can order your father's service records from the MoD. This sticky explains and gives links to the relevant sites. You will need his death certificate, 30 pounds and a lot of patience because there will be a wait of a few months. So many people are on the same quest as you at this time.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Sapper = Private in the Royal Engineers and blowing up mines would be part of their job - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapper

regards

Robert