Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ChuckM

There is not much on the Southey genealogy on line (although there is quite a bit on Southey as a poet/writer). I pieced together a rough family tree by looking at the chronology tab on Romantic Circles - the Letters' of Robert Southey website. One of his two brothers was stationed in the West Indies for a time as a naval officer. I scribbled down a rough tree after some research but have misplaced it in the last day or two. Once I find it, I will identify the exact sources.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello ChuckM

I too have a draft tree for the SOUTHEY family however if I rcall correctly when I looked at the Jamaican registers I spotted the surname, it is one I associate with Cumbria!

Another rough tree, George TARBUTT ( junior?) & Mary Elizabeth nee DONALDSON I have 5 children missing

Edwin died 1815 bu 05 August 1815 Southampton Hants

Ernest bu 17 May 1818 Southampton Hants

George Donaldson bu 02 April 1819 St Mary Southampton

Augustus bp 12 March 1820 bu 6 October 1820

Edgar bu 01 Jan 1820

William 9 Jan 1821

George bp 31 MAr 1800

Charles bo 14 Feb 1801 bp 31 Mar 1801

Charlotte Martin TARBUTT bp 19 Oct 1808

Forsyth Innes bp 18 Sept 1810 married Cath Ann GORDON Jamaica

Thomasin bp 26 Oct 1811

My conclusion is this is your family line.....

James Doaldson bp Jamaica ( not sure who his parents are)

George TARBUTT died 1801 married Charlotte MARTIN 29 June 1773 St Mary Southampton

Elizabeth Bryan bp 6 July 1780 St John Wapping died 1859 father a Mariner

married St Marylebone 22 June 1797 by LICENCE ( you need to get this) was a minor and with the consent of her father

Thomas VARDON desc as the younger

Only child J have found Emily Bertha VARDOB b 1819 Tournecy? France died 1891 Oxfordshire

Caroline Forsyth o9 June 1788

PB ( privately baptised) 15 June 1788

'publically baptised' 20 October 1788 St Olave

ChuckM

Geneius,

Thank you. Yes, I think the family line is right as well - there are just too many coincidental names / dates / shared facts. I am disturbed by Pam's post #7, though, regarding the 1841 census. The dates of the census taking and the christening of William Leopold are too close together. At that time, I believe the main method of transportation would have been sail (rather than steam) and I just don't see how she could have made it in less than 4 weeks. It is also unlikely that her husband, William, would have chosen to christen William Leopold without her being present.

ChuckM

Pam,

In looking at the 1841 and 1851 census, I agree with your assessment. It looks like this Charlotte Pearce was probably born 'Chambers'. Despite her birthplace being listed as West Indies, and her married name as Pearce, as I don't think she is the right 'one'. I do need to research the Chambers family in greater detail, though, in order to try to identify which Pearce she married.

Chuck

We will only know when Pam is back on the forum, however I wonder if she looked at the Churc record & thought it was the UK as in Surrey and not Jamaica!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post

We will only know when Pam is back on the forum, however I wonder if she looked at the Churc record & thought it was the UK as in Surrey and not Jamaica!
    Pam clearly read Surry (sic, post #5), Jamaica, which is why I asked if Charlotte, wife of William, would have been likely to have been in the UK at the time of the census in June when she was baptising a child in July.
    The Charlotte Pearce I found living with/in the same building as the Chambers in 1841 has to tie in with the Charlotte living with Ann Hookins and the Chambers in 1851.
    Ergo, that Charlotte is not the wife of William Pearce.

Pam
    who's sorry she didn't explain herself quite as clearly as she thought she had.

Looking at the newspapers

Berkshire Chronicle 25 Feb 1832
    Drowned March 1831 Henry 2nd son of George TARBUTT of Jamaica

Hampshire Telegraph 5 April 1819

Yesterday at Ryde ( Isle of Wight Hampshire) GD TARBUTT 3rd son of George TARBUTT aged 15 years of Millbrook

Having thought about the 1851 census entry with the SOUTHEY family, census gives a year of birth 1812 birth place West Indies

whereas Charlotte Martin TARBUTT, was baptised 1808 in the UK so at this stage trhe SOUTHEY family of Exeter may not be part of the timeframe for this generation

ChuckM

Yes. Unfortunately, dropping Bristol Charlotte puts me back to square one with William Pearce. I had previously assumed that he had died sometime between 1846 (the christening of George Henry) and 1851, but that now cannot be relied upon. There is a William Pearce that appears as a signatory (p. 66), along with George Henry Pearce (p. 80), on a letter of support for Governor Eyre following the 1865 Morant Bay rebellion (Jamaica: Addresses to His Excellency Edward John Eyre, Esquire, etc. etc. 1865,1866 . – By Edward John Eyre (p. 56-83) (published by M. DeCordova & Co., Printers, 1866), but I am not sure if this is William the father or William Leopold the son. The son was on the HMS Britannia (a naval training ship) in England in 1861 and then back on the Island as of 1873 on the HMS Narcissus and HMS Aurora (coast guard vessels).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast