VanessaJ

Default Regimental Numbers & Service Numbers

Hi, I have been given my Grandfathers "soldiers small book" and I am trying to find out information on him. The book has a regimental number and I was wondering if this is the same as a service number as I cannot find out anymore information that is not in the book. I know the date he joined up, the period was 3 years, and he joined the royal field artillery. I have a photo of him with the RFA badges, and I know he was injured and my Grandmother used to visit him in hospital (she was married to his best mate that was killed).

Firstly, welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Yes, it's his regimental service number - many men changed regiment, in which case his number would also change.

You can help us to help you by providing information such as his name and number....

VanessaJ

Hi Lesley

My Grandfather's name is Joseph Henry Price is regimental number in the book is 18832, he joined in Birmingham, Warwickhire for 3 years on 11 September 1914 (lived in Smethwick and worked as a radial driller, born in Birmingham). The book doesn't have his date of birth only that he was 22 years and nine months so I am guessing he was born January 1892.

His best mate Frederick Powell was in 91st Bde Royal Field Artillery serial number 16241 as Bombardier and killed in action in Somme 3 November 1916. He is buried at Carnoy Military Cemetery X3.

My Grandmother Dorothy Hayfield married Frederick Powell in 3rd quarter 1915 in Coventry and she married Josesph Price 3rd quarter 1918. So I am guessing Joseph was injured some time after Fredrick's death for her to visit him in hospital and then marrying him.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you searched Ancestry?

18832 Gnr Joseph Price discharged from 92nd Brigade. Enlisted 11-9-14, discharged 29-5-18, reason Sickness (not wounds)
    Source: Silver War Badge list.

There may be more records but you can search as well as I can

VanessaJ

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much for your information, I am obviously not doing a good search myself, I blame lack of skills as a newly in this field. I have got a lot of information off of Find My Past and have not been having any luck at all with Forces War Records. Getting info on Frederick Powell was very easy I had it all within an hour and mystery solved with him. If you have any suggestions on best ways or what to search it would be most appreciated.

Reputation beyond repute

You had better read this research guide for a start. Don't forget that important records are at the National Archives and the web site will tell you how best to view them - including outsourced stuff.