Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: George Thompson

Elwyn

Unhappy George Thompson

I am Elwyn W R Purnell, researching my direct Purnell Family Tree and my maternal Mainwaring/Thompson line.
    My current brick wall is finding the true identity of my Step Grandfather George Thompson 1880-1961. On his death in 1961, a birth certificate for George Northover b.1879 was found amongst his possessions [It appears that it was issued for Pension purposes]. ?
    I have his wedding certificate in 1917, and a clue might be exist if it shows his place of birth in the Ynysddu Mon. Census returns for 1921 so that I can look for his parents. Would certainly appreciate any idea`s/help.
    Elwyn

Who is named as his father on his marriage cert and what was his father's occupation? What was entered on the George Northover birth cert?

Only one George Northover birth reg in the index for 1879, 4th qrt Bridport.

In the 1881 census he is with his family at: Village, Puncknowle, Bridport, Dorset, RG11, P 2122, F 101, PAGE 14

Henry Northover age 24, fisherman, born Puncknowle
    Annie N. 24, Puncknowle
    George age 1, son, Puncknowle

This seems to be the same George in 1911, 17 Dynevor Road Skewen, Coedffranc, Glamorganshire
    George Northover, single, 31, Bridport, haulier quarry.
    He's a lodger in Arthur Moule's household. P 32667, sn 326.

In 1891 the same family are at Manor Cottage, Puncknowle Village, Puncknowle, Bridport,
    Father Henry is now a gardener, age 37, Annie 33, George 11, Levi J 9, Violet M. 1.
    All born Puncknowle. RG12, P1663, F 85, Page 13

Brick wall demolition expert!

THIS IS THE INFORMATION / POSTS FROM ELWYN'S INTRODUCTION WHICH MAY HAVE GOT LOST:

MY POST

What name is on his wedding certificate?

What does it show for his father?

1921 Census will not be available until 2022.

ELWYN'S RESPONSE:
    Hi Megan,
    His wedding certificate shows George Thompson aged 37, Father Henry Thompson occupation Domestic Gardner.
    Your right about the Census availability, that's why I have a problem.
    Regards

His wedding certificate shows George Thompson aged 37, Father Henry Thompson occupation Domestic Gardner.
    In 1891 the same family are at Manor Cottage, Puncknowle Village, Puncknowle, Bridport,
    Father Henry is now a gardener, age 37, Annie 33, George 11, Levi J 9, Violet M. 1.
    Could be a coincidence that Henry in 1891 is a gardener and has the same first name......hmm! If he is George's father I wonder wwhy George became known as Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    THIS IS THE INFORMATION / POSTS FROM ELWYN'S INTRODUCTION WHICH MAY HAVE GOT LOST:
    Thank you for doing this Megan It all went pear shaped when I moved the original post to brickwalls just as you were answering it and the question and answer became separated. I have now deleted the post in the Introduce yourself forum as all the information is now in this one spot.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Elwyn

On the wedding certificate 1917 it shows George Thompson aged 37,single and father Henry Thompson Domestic Gardner.
    On the birth certificate of George Northover it shows b. 1879 reg Bridport, and his father Henry Northover fisherman.
    My cousin wonders if George Northover changed his name to Thompson for some reason about 1915 ? or was registered and "brought up" as George Northover ?
    If the latter then it may not be coincidence that George Thompson named his illegitimate daughter b.1915 as Violet !

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn View Post
    On the wedding certificate 1917 it shows George Thompson aged 37,single and father Henry Thompson Domestic Gardner.
    On the birth certificate of George Northover it shows b. 1879 reg Bridport, and his father Henry Northover fisherman.
    My cousin wonders if George Northover changed his name to Thompson for some reason about 1915 ? or was registered and "brought up" as George Northover ?
    If the latter then it may not be coincidence that George Thompson named his illegitimate daughter b.1915 as Violet !
    It does seem probable George was born Northover; question is why he changed his name to Thompson.

Elwyn

If my George Thompson`s father was Henry Thompson [As recorded on the wedding certificate] then he couldn`t be the biological father of Henry Northover fisherman, but there could be several other explanations.
    Apparently there were Thompson families in and around the Dorset area during the 1880`s and some were seamen.
    Also clutching at straws " George Northover was lodging with a family in Dorset called Tomkins ? before moving to Coedffranc

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast