maryelizaf

Default Thomas Henry Lewis; Scotch Fusiliers

Hello, I am looking for any record related to a Thomas Henry Lewis born abt 1840. Married 1876 in Surrey, occ given as "Private in Scotch Fusiliers"; On christening records of children:1877 his occ is given as "soldier", family residing at 27 Clarendon Sq; 1884 birth reg occ given as "Scotch Fusilier Guards", and christening record for same child occ written as "Scots Guard". He is presumably dead by May 1886 when his wife, a Widow, remarried in Middlesex. I have been unable to find any military record of him at all. I subscribed to this site in the hope it would have something but lucked out again. Would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you.

Welcome to the free British-Genealogy forums.
    FWR are our sponsors but we are a separate operating entity and you arrived here when you clicked on the Community menu on the FWR site.
    No one site has all military records depending on which records each site is licensed to hold.

Where was your Thomas Henry Lewis born? Do you have him on the censuses, especially the 1881?

There is one attestation record for a Thomas Lewis born Dorset 1839 but no personal details apart from attestation date of 1859 in the Dragoon Guards 1st (King's)

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

maryelizaf

Thank you for your reply. I don't know where or when he was born. I only know he married my great grandmother Julia Long in 1876 in Thames Ditton, Surrey - which is where Julia was born and raised, his residence also given as Thames Ditton, (though I have not found him on the Church register there and I have looked through all the images) his age as "full", father's name as William Lewis who was a carpenter. I have not definitively found him on any Census record. In the 1881 Census Julia and son were living with her sister and family, but status was 'Married'. Julia had another child in 1884, Thomas Henry Lewis was given as the father on both her birth and baptism registration. When Julia married again in 1886, she was recorded as a Widow. So I am presuming he died sometime between 1884 and 1886.

Reputation beyond repute

Scots Guards

Service records of the Guards regiments are still held by the regiments. This page has contact details.

Two warnings: (1) the Guards archives were stored in the Guards Chapel which was bombed during WW2. Many records were destroyed. (2) it's difficult at the best of times to find much on men who died in service - records may have been thrown out if not needed for pension purposes.

Have you checked for the family in the assorted census records? That'll give you his birth parish.

maryelizaf

Thanks Lesley, I have been unable to find him on Census records - Thomas Lewis is such a common name! He wasn't with his wife Julia in the 1881 Census but she was recorded as Married, and they had another child in 1884. He may have been overseas in 1881.

maryelizaf

Thanks Peter, I will follow up on that, but accept the possibility that I may never know the answer