Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is Lewisham close to St Johns Wood, I have had a look on google earth but I dont know the local area
    Lewisham is south of the river, St Johns Wood is on the north side.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I too looked at these entry's deciding that the death was before the baptism and as suggested it looks as if the child was taken to the church as no markings to suggest otherwise!

Just checked the entry it states Parish Register!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by kermie62 View Post
    Point and valid criticism taken. No I dont have the will, I forgot she was only 3 and assumed she would have been mentioned. I wnet looking at the national Archives for a will but couldnt find a record for one.

Thanks

Have a look at the posts in the Wills thread entitled "UK FIND A WILL after 1995 ON LINE" - also appears in today's posts - you will see that all wills after 1858 will be available to ordered on line from early December.

mattayo

Hi - just saw the reference to Mira Annie Bird here - and am wondering if you have any more info on her? Reason I ask is because I recently acquired an album of her various momentos, dated 1856. Thanks!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by mattayo View Post
    Hi - just saw the reference to Mira Annie Bird here - and am wondering if you have any more info on her? Reason I ask is because I recently acquired an album of her various momentos, dated 1856. Thanks!!
    Hello & Welcome,

Why not PM ( private message) opening poster, click on name , a dropdown box will appear

kermie62

Just to leave some footprints for future researchers......

PLease email me for greater details but as background

Mira Annie Bird was the daughter of John Bird, solicitor and evenutal mayor of cardiff and his wife Jemmima Strutt. Her brother was John Joseph Strutt Bird, a Victorian Minister and early photographer. Jemmima died when the children were young and John Bird (illegally at the time) married his sister in law Rachel Kezia Stutt later Bird later Chivers. You will see her mentioned above as an exectutor, I guess because she was the stepmother. From the census data and what I can read, she was quite a woman.

Mira's Grandfather was Joseph Strutt, the recordkeeper for the Duke of Northumberland at Syon House, Isleworth. He married the sister of my 4 x great grandfather so I am her second cousin 4 times removed.

Mira's Great grandfather was Joseph Strutt Senior who was a great artist and historian and author. Further up the line they have a common ancestor with the current Baron Raleigh.

Got lots more but contact me and I can send what i can. I would love to see what you have gotten, what a treasure

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kermie62 View Post
    Administration of the effects of Mira Annie Rutland late of Norfolk Road St Johns Wood in the country of Middlesex Widow who died 17 may 1870 at Norfolk Road was granted at the Principal Registry to Rachel Kezia Chivers (wife of Jotham) Chivers of 13 Lansdown Road Tottenham in the said county the sole executrix of the will of John Bird the father and next of kin.
    Quote Originally Posted by kermie62
    (implies she died without leaving a will?).
    Read this:

Banned

Is Lewisham close to St Johns Wood
    St Johns Wood is not far from Maida Vale and the Paddington area, which is north of the Thames. I live in London and know Saint Johns Wood well - my sister lives there
    Lewisham is 10 miles away (although when driving it seems a lot further) from Saint Johns Wood on the South Side of the Thames near Greenwich, in the County of Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by almach
    could be Florence was cared for by afamily member.
    I note it has been suggested that Florence was adopted. I'd like to say that adoption was not legalised in the UK until 1927, and pre-1927 young children went to stay with family members which the quote does suggest.

I see that several searches have been made on many family members and Florence hasn't showed up. What you could try is Barnados - this was run by Thomas Barnados and what he did was set up orphanages around the country for destitute children. Records are kept but can only be applied for a direct family member to the person. I denote that there was a lot of London.

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by smj7290 View Post

I note it has been suggested that Florence was adopted. I'd like to say that adoption was not legalised in the UK until 1927, and pre-1927 young children went to stay with family members which the quote does suggest.
    Adoption happened before 1927, whether it was legal or not. I have one case on the fringe of my own family, and I have no doubt there were many more.

Starting to feel at home

1891 census shows over 17,000 adopted children, 1901 nearly 25,000 and over 38,000 in 1911. These figures just for England. There was also mention of adoption in the 1899 Poor Law Act.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast