jadiehawk

Default Sergeant WE Thompson

I'm looking for information about William Edward Thompson, my great Grandfather, who fought in the Boer War. He had enlisted in the Army in 1890 and died in 1908 in Ceylon. I've found some documents with his name on them but seem to hit a brick wall when searching for him by Regiment number. He was in the 2nd Battalion East Surrey Regiment. Does anyone know of websites that are useful for searching Military records (besides this one)?

Thank you.
    jadiehawk

Reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to find very much about a soldier who died in service. His documents wouldn't have been needed for pension purposes so they tended to be destroyed. If his service record is anywhere it's likely to be in National Archives series WO97 (possibly WO121) - these have been put on line by Findmypast.

Pay and muster records may be some help.

You need to read the National Archives Research Guide. Note the reference to related guides which may also help.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

FMP has Military records quite a few for WE Thompson & William Edward Thompson, however most require a year or place of birth to search successfully