Famous for offering help & advice

Default NORRIS-SCOTT Marriage, Gosport, 1908?

Please can anyone find a marriage for EDWIN SCOTT & LILIAN MARGARET NORRIS at Gosport Register Office in 1908?
    No relation, so I can't supply any background information. This comes from a WW1 Service Record:

Edwin SCOTT served in the Hampshire Regiment from 1899 to 1907, then re-enlisted in July 1916 and survived WW1 (disembodied 1919). In 1916 his declared age was 34y 3m, born Portsea, home address Gosport.
    Married 1908. Children EDWIN ERNEST (1910) & ALBERT (1914).

Now the puzzle: no Scott-Norris marriage? no Edwin Ernest Scott or Norris birth? Yet Albert Scott is there, mother's name Norris.
    There is a marriage for LILIAN MARTHA NORRIS - Q4 1908 Alverstoke. One of the options for a husband is William EDWIN Harvey. But again, I cannot find births with the surname Harvey.

Going bog-eyed, so would appreciate any help! (If Edwin enlisted under a false surname, it will help to put him back in the correct records!)

Records are Anc****y, SCO, pages 92923 to 92950 & 93014 to 93015
    (93015 is the page that names the bride!)

Jane

Brick wall demolition expert!

Jane,

There definitely is not a marriage in 1908 +/-2 years of Edwin Scott and anyone named Norris.

Albert H Scott's birth registered Alverstoke 1914, Mother Norris.

In the 1911 Census at 34 Russell Street Forton Gosport Hampshire, Alverstoke, there is a family called Scott-Thorne.
    Edwin aged 28 a milkman; Lillian Martha aged 22 and Edwin Ernest a baby.

There is a birth of an Ernest E Thorne registered in 1910 Alverstoke - unfortunately its too early to have the mother's maiden name in the index.

Megan

THANK YOU MEGAN!

The other option for a husband (for Lilian Martha Norris) in Q4 1908 is ... Ernest Thorne.

(Still doesn't explain why one child has surname Thorne and the other Scott, but as Ernest Snr obviously preferred the name Edwin, why shouldn't he have changed his surname too? )

Oooh, these ancestors!!! No wonder they're so hard to find!

Jane

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Edwin THORNE alias Edwin SCOTT alias Henry THORNE

There is a single sheet on Military FMP filed under Edwin SCOTT Portsea Hamps however when you look at the record it states Pvte Edwin THORNE alis Edwin Scott regiment no 8827 he enlisted 6 March 1899 aqged 17 yrs 11 months

There is also a Regimental conduct sheet filed under Edwin SCOTT Portsea Hamps with the name Henry THORNE a/k Edwin

Third entry ( non of it makes sense ) G/35423 Regiment Royal Sussex Regiment Unit / Battalion 3rd Battalion

Nicolina

there is also a sheet saying that he was examined by R.A.M.C. at Winchester on 19th July 1916. It's dissicult to read but looks like "Palpitations". His age had also been changed from 35 years 3 months to 34 years and 2 months.

Looks as though he couldn't tell the truth about anything, He even lied on his Attestation.

Thank you geneius & nicolina.

I wonder why the page found on FMP isn't in the records I looked at?
    However, it would appear to explain the WHY of this - Ernest Thorpe was underage when he joined the Hants regt in 1899, so I assume he just kept up the pretence. I don't know where "Henry" has come from - but there were 4 Ernest Thorpes born in Hampshire between 1881 & 1884 - one of them with the glorious name of ERNEST NELSON. (I do so hope this is him!)

He served in the Hampshires until 1907, then it looks as though he left to get married (1908) and become a milkman (1911 Census). When he volunteered/was called up in 1916, perhaps he thought he'd better continue the alias - he wouldn't want to affect his army pension. (The Army had the habit of cancelling qualifying service for the slightest reason, including false attestation - politicians just don't change, do they?)

In WW1 he served with the DLI (301456), Royal Sussex (35423) & finally the Labour Corps (649586).

Good on you, Edwin!

And thanks for all the help.

Jane

Nicolina

wonder if his palpitations were a sign that he was worried about being caught out.