Default William Cattle b1761, d ? Cape of Good Hope

Another Cattle query!

William Cattle
    Born 26 July 1761
    Baptised August the same year at St John, Ouserbridge
    Was a breeches maker
    Married Catherine Wright 23 December 1782
    Got the freedom of York in 1783

Apparently he died in the Cape of Good Hope, but I have no dates for this and can't find any information.

I have seen on someone elses tree that he supposedly died in 1783, but not sure how that's possible as his oldest child was born abt December 1783, and his youngest child was born in 1793 in Rillington, Yorkshire, so I guess that the death date could be wrong.

Does anyone have access to any South African records that they could check for me please?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Some online resources are given in this "sticky" at the top of the South Africa forum.

Pam

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Some online resources are given in this "sticky" at the top of the South Africa forum.

Pam
    Excellent - thanks Pam, I'll have a look

Starting to feel at home

I was wondering how you would die at Cape of Good Hope (Cape Point) because there is nothing really there, unless a shipwreck. Then I found this on Wikipedia:

The term Cape of Good Hope is also used in three other ways:
    • It is a section of the Table Mountain National Park, within which the cape of the same name, as well as Cape Point, falls. Prior to its incorporation into the national park this section constituted the Cape Point Nature Reserve;[4]
    • It was the name of the early Cape Colony established in 1652, in the vicinity of the Cape Peninsula.
    • Just prior to the formation of the Union of South Africa, the term referred to the entire region that in 1910 was to become the Cape of Good Hope Province (usually shortened to the Cape Province).

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by catfordcrooner View Post
    I was wondering how you would die at Cape of Good Hope (Cape Point) because there is nothing really there, unless a shipwreck. Then I found this on Wikipedia:

The term Cape of Good Hope is also used in three other ways:
    • It is a section of the Table Mountain National Park, within which the cape of the same name, as well as Cape Point, falls. Prior to its incorporation into the national park this section constituted the Cape Point Nature Reserve;[4]
    • It was the name of the early Cape Colony established in 1652, in the vicinity of the Cape Peninsula.
    • Just prior to the formation of the Union of South Africa, the term referred to the entire region that in 1910 was to become the Cape of Good Hope Province (usually shortened to the Cape Province).
    That's a very good point. I had seen on someone's tree that he did die in a shipwreck but without a date (or at least a best guess date range), it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.