Christine

Default James Norman Stewart

I met a lovely elderly lady last week and volunteered to try and find some historical details about her father and his service in the First World War. This has proved far more difficult than I expected and if anyone could help me find out about James Norman Stewart who was born on 7 July 1894 in Mexborough and who joined the Royal Army Medical Corps in November/December 1914, I would be most grateful.

Thank you,

Christine

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,,what is the source of your info that he was in the RAMC? Do you have a service number?

Hello Christine
    Like you I am having a great deal of difficulty finding anything on this man apart from his birth and death registrations. Unfortunately there are quite a few James Stewarts born around this time in Yorkshire. Nothing coming up for a James Norman/N in the RAMC on the Service Medal and Award Rolls on ancestry. There are approx. 14 plain James Stewarts, 3 James N Stewarts and 2 James N G but not in the RAMC. If using just Army Service Corps in the keyword box then there is one result for a J N Stewart but if using only J Stewart they multiply! Without a service number impossible to identify.
    I can't see a service or pension record for a James Stewart with or without a Norman/N either but that is not surprising as more than 60% of WW1 records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 but there should be a medal card for him.
    This is the WW1 Service and Award Medal I mentioned above and he did sign up in 1914.
    Eliminating those who didn't receive the 1914 - 1915 Star would shorten the field.
    J N Stewart
    Military Year - 1914-1915
    Rank - Private
    Medal Awarded - 1914-15 Star
    Regiment or Corps - Army Service Corps
    Regimental Number - M2/101313

Is your friend certain of the details?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Using just the regiment number 101313 without any other details, on ancestry, brings up a medal Roll Index card for a John N Norman in the ASC M2/101313 but he was killed in action 7 August 1916.

You didn't mention whether your friend's grandfather survived or not?

Christina

Added: This man is on the CWGC site as John Norman Stewart.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Only record I could tha MAY fit was

NAME: James Norman Stewart
    BIRTH: Jul 1894 - Barnsley, Yorkshire West Riding

NAME: James N Stewart
    BIRTH: abt 1894
    DEATH: Dec 1961 - Don Valley, Yorkshire West Riding, England

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by gortonboy View Post
    hi,,,what is the source of your info that he was in the RAMC? Do you have a service number?
    His daughter Margaret was sure he served with the RAMC but I did wonder if he could have been a medical assistant in a Yorkshire regiment. She didn't have his service number and said his medals had been buried with him. He did survive WWI.
    Christine

Christine

He did survive and at least one of his two daughters was born after WWI.
    Christine

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I think we need a bit more information about this guy,

I cannot see a suitable marriage for him, nor can I find him on the census returns

Christine

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    I think we need a bit more information about this guy,

I cannot see a suitable marriage for him, nor can I find him on the census returns
    Many thanks to all who tried to help with this query. I have written to his daughter to tell her that we can't trace him.

Christine