Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fail medical exam

Hi, I recent looked in to my Great Grandfathers WW1 service record and it appears he didn't make it through the medical exam. Would he of been posted anywhere else or would he have been sent home?

Thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Did he receive a Silver War Badge?

Looking on his report it doesn't say (or I can't make it out). Where would I find it? Plus when I look for him on any other records I cant find him or his service number anywhere.

Reputation beyond repute

Where would I find it?
    Silver War Badge roll. If you provide his identity details, people will have a look for you.

His name was
    Thomas Gaskell
    d.o.b 05/12/1895
    Reg - King's Own Scottish Borders
    Reg No - 18833

I can't find any record for him in the Medal Roll Index Cards or theMedal and Award Rolls.
    I do see the record you have which ancestry include in their Pension Record set but is actually a Short Service Attestation form which is a form completed when an individual enlisted.
    Thomas was found unfit for service (not likely to become an efficient soldier)He signed up 14 May 1915 (although his length of service says starts 11 of May) he was discharged 19 June 1915 so this is probably why I can't find any medals for him. He didn't get past the original medical.
    Christina

Added: There is some faint writing under the dates I gave which says
    - ? War. Home pass? 15? -5 to 19 - 6 - 15
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks for your help Christina

thewideeyedowl

I suggest you refer to this thread, #3: https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...rom-1916-photo. It describes something very similar.

Owl

The large number of men who failed their medical on call up is frequently mentioned when conscription is dealt with on tv and radio. A lot of blame is given to poor nutrition (eg rickets) and infection (eg tb). Because they hadn't served, such men would not qualify for medals or the silver war badge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast