Thread: WW2 ID Cards

Starting to feel at home

Default WW2 ID Cards

Hi guys,

Tapping into the knowledge base, does anyone have an idea of what records may survive that someone would have given their 1939 ID Card number on? The 1939 Register people have been struggling to find a record for me, and Ive had this issue before, luckily for that one the number was on a navy record, so I could give them it and they found the record right out. Now im in a position for my great grandmother where Im wondering what records out there she may have listed her number on, there is clearly no military record for her, but did they submit it elsewhere at all to prove their ID? I know it later became their NHS number, however patient records dont survive from the time, and those that do (mortuary records) dont have the NHS number on. Im desperate to find out where she was on the register

Any ideas?

Ryan

Famous for offering help & advice

These numbers came up in a thread a couple of months ago - see https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...-Abbreviations - Post #10 and onwards.

If there was someone else with the same name as your great grandmother at the same address, then the number might appear in the electoral register. Then if she was in a place where the electoral registers have been put online (most of them are at Ancestry, I think), you might be able to find her there to check this.

However, I'm guessing that if you had been able to find her in the electoral register, you might not be bothering with the ID card, as it might not tell you anything extra - though one that I saw did have spaces for change of address, which might be useful.

Arthur

Starting to feel at home

Yes unfortunately I havnt been able to find her on the london registers, She is present in 1932, and not again until 1945. Ive been trying to find out where she was in 39 as this is likely where my grandad would have grown up in London, by 1945 she last left to the country, probably due to the blitz. She isnt on the 39 electoral rolls Ive seen for "london", so its likely its the essex half of london which isnt online.

There must have been times you had to give the number for things, I know you needed it to get ration books, is there no record of that?