Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: edward evans

b.white

Default edward evans

I am trying to trace my grandfather he signed up according to army records WW1 on the 6.04.1908 age 33
    no 42 corps 6th bn the welsh reg. previous service records shown 25th 03 1887 to 8,4 1903 bugler looks like 2nd glam ore) then from 09.04.03 to 17.07.04 corporal then last record of previous engagements18.07.04 to05.04.08 looks like Le sarg't ? borne 1875 Swansea I would be most gratefull if anyone could point me in right direction
    thank you

Reputation beyond repute

2nd glam ore
    Perhaps VRC = Volunteer Rifle Corps.

I would be most grateful if anyone could point me in right direction
    I'm afraid I'm not too clear what you're asking for here.

b.white

hello Peter Goodey
    I am trying to put together my family,s history unfortunately I haven't got any information regards to my grandfather (mothers side) my mother died quite young my eldest sister could just about remember stories of granddad apparently in the army a lot of years he always addressed himself as Edward Evans borne 1875 yet I have a copy of his death cert 1940 (Edward Thomas Jarvis otherwise Evans) the B.M.D records cant help they suggest army records all I have found is one entry of a soldier from Swansea that seemed to fit but how can I verify that person I believe he wore a busby in uniform and in 1908 re-enlisted in the 6th Bn The Welsh Regiment I don't know how I can check that out I'm afraid its all a bit muddled .he died in Birmingham 1940
    Thank you very much for replying anyway

Reputation beyond repute

I'm having trouble distinguishing between (a) what you have documentary evidence for, (b) family stories and recollections and (c) guesswork based on browsing easily available records.

For example, where does this 1908 enlistment come from? I can see a military record that you might be talking about but how do you know it's your man?

Do you have all easily available BMD certificates? Birth of children, marriage?

I'm wondering whether in this case the 1939 Register Service might be of some help.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I read that you have a person known as Edward EVANS b 1875 whose name on the death certificate is also known as Edward Thomas JARVIS!

I can see a death entry for a Edward T JARVIS b circa 1870 died Jan - Mar 1940 Birmingham recorded as Vol 6d page 394
    AND
    I can see a death entry for a Edward T EVANS b circa 1870 died Jan - Mar 1940 Birmingham recorded as Vol 6d page 394

This appears to be one & the same person

Do you know the name of his wife and where he may have married her?

The 'Army' record is on line under the name of Edward EVANS former service in the Imperial Yeomanry or Volunteer Force 25 March 1887 - 5 April 1908

He attended Annual Training 2 August - 16 August 1908 at Poerthcawl

b.white

yes her name was Annie R Evans ac to 1911 census she was borne in Chirk Denbighshire 1874 she had a daughter 1898 my moms oldest sister still with no record of his whereabouts until 1911census in b'ham as I mentioned my eldest sister recalls mom saying he spent more time in the Army than at home that's what sent me looking through Army rec's to try and find a link to the only known address where they all lived in 1911. I suppose clutching at straws. I don't know how/when my gran's maiden name changed from Jones to Evans

b.white

Hi not sure if its the right person can't find a marriage the only child that survived outside of Birmingham was my moms eldest sister if correct 1901 census list's my gran as single with daughter aged 3 she was registered then as Evans the others were borne at same address in Duddeston B.Ham

Death of Annie Edward's widow, do you know what the R stands for?

Annie R Evans
    Born abt 1875
    Death Dec 1958
    Aged 83
    Birmingham VOLUME: 9c PAGE: 488

Hi not sure if its the right person can't find a marriage the only child that survived outside of Birmingham was my moms eldest sister if correct 1901 census list's my gran as single with daughter aged 3 she was registered then as Evans the others were borne at same address in Duddeston B.Ham
    I can find a

Jane EVANS b Mar 1898 Oswestry v 6a p 635

Jane EVANS b Jun 1898 12898 Oswestry v 6a p 654

Oswestry being the registration district for Chril Denbighshire / Shropshire

Can you give more details of the 1901 census you have found mother & daughter on, I just cannot see them, i.e address / head of household reference which will start RG 13

Neither can I find a marriage entry for 14 years prior to 1911!!!

This appears to be the registration of Florence E aged 7 months on the 1911 census

EVANS Florence E Aston 6d 254

Having drawn a blank as to the positive ID of Edward EVANS / JARVIS and a positive link back to Annie's parentage, I would suggest you either obtain Florence's birth certificate or

sister Evans Annie E Jones Aston 6d 593 ( I found her marriage to Albert WINTERS) which suggests her father was an Engineer!

These can be obtained for www.gro.co.uk cost £9.25

You will need the above information to enable you to trace your ancestors. I have seen 'trees' on ancetry that have Annie dughter of Edward & Minerva married to other men!

b.white

hello geneius
    sorry its taken a few days to reply not been to good the record you found for Florence Ethel Evans was my mother Edward Evans is named on her birth cert and mother Annie Evans formerly Jones they lived in cardigan st Duddeston Birmingham. the 1901 census Annie Evans mother Jane Evans daughter lived in Mellteyrn Caernavonshire the ages seem to match but another strange thing on the midlands electoral register from 1912 onwards my gran started using her middle name of Rebecca instead of Annie

1901 census RG13; Piece: 5266; Folio: 89; Page: 8

did you notice on the 1901 return that Annie & Jane were at the bottom of the page at the top was Maru Jones and her nephewThomas J EVANS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast