Thread: WINGS ONE

WINGS ONE

Default WINGS ONE

Help, anyone out there who could help me find the service record of my father.
    Name: Willie Bannister, private Royal Munster Fusiliers. service number 10514, served with regiment from Jan 1915 until 15 Jan 1922. When he was discharged he had a service number 7076706 and was a member of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. However I cannot find any record of him anywhere. So can anyone please give me any hints
    Many thanks in anticipation

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Records after 1920 are with MOD - apply for them here- https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html
    regards
    Ancestry and FMP should have his Medal Index Card - https://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/campaignmedals.html

Robert

WINGS ONE

Hi Robert
    Very many thanks for your info, it gets very confusing when your father has TWO service numbers!!!! Will try MOD
    Regards
    Brian

Hello
    I did try searching ancestry for your father's WW1Medal Roll Index card yesterday and I could not make the surname Ban*ister (wildcard search) match either of the regiment numbers you gave. If I used just a number there were a few hits but none with the surname Bannister. Nor could I find him in the WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls,
    I am wondering if his card isn't on there because he remained in the service after the end of WW1

ancestry.co.uk is allowing free access to the WW1Medal Roll Index cards until the end of the year so you can check yourself to see if you can find anything. When searching go direct to 'military records' for easier searching.

You may have better luck than me.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

WINGS ONE

Hi Christina
    Very many thanks for your kind assistance, likewise the two service numbers of my fathers seems to confuse the issue, also that he remained in service until 1922. I think I will have to go the the MOD and search their records. As a matter of interest I have his WW1 medals with his name and service number printed around the periphery.
    Again Many thanks
    Brian

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

"7076706 and was a member of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers" is certainly a WW2 number - which fits in the regiment number range - Royal Dublin Fusiliers 7075001 - 7109000 (Disbanded 1922) (I don't know what the last part entails!)
    For WW1 got his MIC - put in his surname, regiment and tick it as exact and 10514 and this comes up-

Name:
    William Bannister

Regiment or Corps:
    Royal Munster Fusiliers, Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Regimental Number:
    10514, 40423
    He was awarded 3 medals, you should also be able to find the actual medal rolls from that on Ancestry too.

regards

Robert

Hello Brian

I am not sure you can actually go to the MOD and search the records. I think you have to apply for the individual record by submitting the forms in the first link Robert gave in post #2.
    You will need 30 quid, your father's death certificate and of course you already have his regiment and service numbers. Above all you will need patience as it will take a few months to receive them as so many are on the same quest.

Good luck

Christina

Hi Robert
    I am going back to ancestry and seeing what I wasn't doing to bring this up. Thanks.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

WINGS ONE

Hi Robert.
    Very many thanks for that. It would appear that I will have to go to MOD to see if they have my fathers service record. I have his discharge and character certificates, but would love to know where he went and what he did during his army days. He would not talk about the Great War and his part in it, and he has been dead since 1970. So we will keep trying.
    Very many thanks
    Brian