chrismoz

Default Private A Wilkes RAF 80823

ive found the record for my grandfather who was in the RAF after having been transferred from the RFC on 10/05/1917 but cannot find where he served during the great war. I do know he was wounded but would love to know more. where do I go next?

TomBen

Hi Chrismoz,

That's likely all we've been able to locate so far on Private Wilkes.

I would suggest having a look at the National Archives Online Catalogue to see if you can find a Short Service Attestation, if one has survived. The vast majority of these no longer exist.

As he was wounded he may appear in the Medical Records we are currently transcribing for Forces War Records. i must stress "may" however as the records are only a small fraction of those created during the war.

Again the vast majority of these were destroyed, with just this small sampling given to the Ministry of health for reference.

Very sorry about that.

Kind Regards,

Tom

Reputation beyond repute

The question doesn't sound right. The RAF was formed on 1 Apr 1918 so he couldn't have been transferred to the RAF before that date.

80823 Abraham Wilkes' service record is where I would expect it to be - in National Archives series AIR79 outsourced to Findmypast (£). That says he attested for the RFC on 10.5.17 and entered the RAF on 1.4.18. "Prior engagement in HM Forces" is blank. So it seems to me that he didn't have much time to do very much at all in the Great War.

For full guidance, see https://nationalarchives.gov.uk/recor...f-rfc-rnas.htm

chrismoz

Yes Peter you are right. I know he was in the RFC and that the RFC then became the RAF but I didn't know what date. He wasn't in the The Great War for long but long enough to be seriously wounded. He survived his wounds (he had a metal insert in his left temple) and was nearly blind in his left eye and eventually died in 1964. He never spoke of his service in the forces hence my curiosity. Thank you for your information, I will try the national Archives.

Reputation beyond repute

The service record is online at Findmypast (£) or free for visitors to the National Archives. I only spotted that he got the Silver War Badge but didn't notice any other reference to wounds. But then I wouldn't have read it as carefully as you will