Thread: Where's my dad?

nikkib53

Default Where's my dad?

I can't find my dad's record in the Forces War Record but know he served in RAF during WWII - I've tried advance search but nothing comes up - he carried on serving until 1968. His name was William Lewis Barton and he ended up as a Chief Tech. Can anyone advise please?

Frankie#88

Hi,

I'm having the same trouble because I'm researching my uncle, most of the WW2 record's are either still being held by the MOD or they have been destroyed.

I'm no expert but you could try https://www.ancestry.co.uk first to see what you can find on your dad and you could also try https://www.veterans.uk.info and https://wwwnationalarchives.co.uk maybe they have something too.

Hope that's it some use and that you find what your looking for and Good luck.

All military records from 1922 to the present day are still with the Ministry of Defence. It you look at the notice at the top of this and all the military forums
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...-including-WW2
    here on British-Genealogy.com you will find information on how to obtain these records. If your father is still alive I believe he can ask for the records and they will be sent free of charge. If you are asking as next of kin you will need a copy of the death certificate and it will cost you £30. Whichever way you set about obtaining them please be prepared to wait for at least a couple of months. The centenary of WW1 has created more interest and a lot more people are now searching for records
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Starting to feel at home

My sister in law's dad died in the 1960s. She has no information on his date or place of birth. She knows his fathers name but not his mothers. It is a common name (of course!) so trying to trace his family history is impossible.

It struck me that his RAF WW2 service record might contain some of this information. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Fingers crossed

Auburn

Reputation beyond repute

It struck me that his RAF WW2 service record might contain some of this information
    But if it's a common name and you don't know his date and place of birth, how would you identify the right record?

Starting to feel at home

You will have to forgive me as I am a total novice as far as service records are concerned -that's why I'm asking stupid questions!

We know his name, his approx. year of birth, his father's name, his death details (civilian at the time) and the fact that he served in the RAF in Lincolnshire in WW2.

We have no details of where in Lincolnshire, his rank or duties.

Does this mean my bright idea wasn't as bright as I thought?!

Auburn

Brick wall demolition expert!

The death certificate will have his age on it, so that should narrow down when he was born.

If you tell the forum his name and when he died, you never know we might be able to help you.

Reputation beyond repute

Well, it might be OK if you knew his service number or even his national insurance number.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The death certificate will have his age on it, so that should narrow down when he was born.

If you tell the forum his name and when he died, you never know we might be able to help you.
    Thanks Megan- I can't do that because his wife who is still living (over 100 yrs old) is very reluctant to tell her daughter anything- and this is what makes it so difficult. I have no doubt she could tell us a lot!

Thanks anyway!

Auburn

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Well, it might be OK if you knew his service number or even his national insurance number.
    Thanks Peter -we may be able to find his NI number.

Auburn