Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by tweenster View Post
    The pieces of the jigsaw are coming together.
    my father died last year so there are no living relatives to ask.

I'm finding this search for information absolutely fascinating although I regret not doing it some years ago whilst my father was alive; would probably have made it a whole lot easier!

Mick
    You are in the right place to continue researching your family tree that is for sure.
    There are many free sites and quite a few pay per view. First of all take a look at Cindy's list site which gives links to genealogy sites for many countries.
    Freegen, Freereg, FreeBMD, familysearch.org are all free.
    ancestry and Findmypast and the Genealogist are 3 pay per view sites but the first 2 do offer a 2 week free trial. Just remember to cancel your sub a few days before the trial is due to end (you will still get the 14 days free use) Both also offer free versions at some local libraries so yours may have one or both.
    If you want more help from us in your new found hobby/addiction then I suggest you choose the most suitable forum (London?) and post the details of the person with whom you wish to start your journey.
    FreeBMD has George Ernest Pullin's birth registration in the Windsor district March 1/4 1885 2c 454.This is a good place to start looking on the censuses which at the moment are only up to 1911.

If you have more questions just ask but as I said before maybe start a new thread. Oh, the majority of us have the same regrets as you in that we started our quest after those who could have told given us personal views and life stories have died.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

tweenster

Just to close this thread off, I've been in contact with my sister who lives in Spain and took control of my father's effects after he died. She sent me the following reply:

"You are going to enjoy it a lot when you come to Madrid, I do have many things from him, I'll scan you a photo but I also have what I think is the Memorial Plaque you mentioned (in fact, it has been, for as long as I can remember, in grandma's sitting room but I guess your mum was far more well behaved than I was so as a child I used to be bored sometimes and start looking at everything and asking what it was) but not only that, I have the postcards he wrote to grandpa whilst he was abroad. They are beautiful, as they didn't have any pictures on the reverse, (I think this was due to security reasons) he drew himself something in each of them, there is also a letter he left which says "in the event of my death" and where he explained to his wife everything she should have done when he died. I also have the ¿plaques? made of cardboard that soldiers use to wear around their necks to be identified and a card from the Richmond's Arms. [my Great Great Grandfather was the landlord of the Richmond Arms from the later 1890s to 1910ish and was where my Great Grandfather grew up] Oh! I also have many birth and death registers (the originals I mean). There might be something else I don't remember right now, I've kept everything and I wouldn't mind if there is anything of it you wish to take with you, as long as it is kept. When we finally move, I'll open the box where I have everything and tell you if there is anything else!"

Utterly fascinating!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12