MadMark

Default Sherwood Foresters - Special Reserve

I'm hoping someone out there can help me discover more about the 4th Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters (in which my Great Grandfather served prior to WWI). He joined in 1909 and in 1914 deployed to France as part of the 1st Battalion where he was subsequently killed in 1915 at the Battle of Neuve Chapelle.

What I would like to know is information on the 4th Battalion - the Special Reserve - how pften did they train, where were they based, what photos (if any) are there of them in the period 1909 to 1914.

Many thanks - Mark

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

hi

A little bit here - https://www.1914-1918.net/notts.htm
    As they did not serve overseas, no war diary was kept so you might find it hard to actually find much on them.
    Ask the museum- https://www.wfrmuseum.org.uk/sf_museum.htm

regards

Robert

MadMark

Thanks for the links. I'd already come across them and was hoping for something a bit more specific to the 4th Battlion Special Reserve, especially with photos.

There are a couple of mentions in newspapers between 1909 and 1914.

There were training camps in Chilwell Park (1909) and Strensall (1910 and 1914). The annual training camp was May 11 - June 6 1914, Strensall.
    No details 1911-1913.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

MadMark

Do you have any links to these or links to photos?

They were found on the subscription sites at "British Newspaper Archive" or "Find My Past". Brief mentions and no photographs.

Had you seen www.1914-1918.net/reserve.htm

On a more general note, the system was introduced in 1908. Recruits for either Branch of the Special Reserve - artillery, engineers or line - were required to undergo six months training to start with. During that period they received pay varying from 7s to 10s a week in addition to food and quarters. The period of enlistment was for six years. After the first six months drill the only obligation incurred was to attend a fortnight or three weeks' training each year. The annual training dates were to be arranged to meet local conditions ie. when was best for men and masters.

The scheme appeared to target the unemployed or those likely to be without work in the winter months ie. agricultural labourers. There was provision to purchase a discharge for £3 should a "fortunate turn in circumstances occur" ie. the individual found employment.

THE NEW SPECIAL RESERVE - The Height and Age Requirements at January 1908 were -

Gunners - both Royal Field and Garrison Artillery - 5 feet 6 inches and upwards, age 17-30
    Drivers - Royal Field Artillery - 5 feet 3 inches to 5 feet 6 inches, age 17 - 30
    Royal Engineers, Siege Companies - 5 feet 4 inches and upwards, age 18- 30
    Railway Companies - same height, but age 19-30 (good tradesmen may be taken at one inch less in height and from 18-35)
    Infantry - height 5 feet 2 inches and upwards, age 17-30

MadMark

Thanks very much for all your info, very interesting and some good stuff there. I will continue my search for photos but your help has been much appreciated.