Default Edward George Haeger - HMS Hood

Grateful for any info on my great uncle Edward who served during WW2 on HMS Hood (and subsequently perished on board).

Also information required on his brother William Joseph who also served on HMS Hood. He left the Hood before it was destroyed and subsequently died in an accident whilst serving on HMS Penelope.

Thank you.

Hello again
    The same answer as in your post re Dennis Dunkley

WW11 service records are still held by the MoD so you won't find them online. This 'sticky' explains where and how to apply at a cost of 30 pounds and a long wait to receive them as so many are applying at this time.

Edward George Haeger is on the CWGC site Here

This page on The National Archives site is a useful guide to the Royal Marines

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You haven't said what info you have, this may be surplus to requirement!

https://www.hmshood.com/crew/memorial/h/HaegerEG.htm

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...DWARD%20GEORGE

Edward is mentioned in The Portsmouth Evening News on 31 March 1937 (birth of a son) and 7 June 1941 (Roll of Honour - tribute from his aunt).

It's available on line at Find My Past (available free at some local libraries) or British Newspaper Archive
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Terry Halls

Irene,William and Joseph HAEGER were my wife's Mothers 1st cousins. Her father was James (1868-1931) 4th child (followed by a further 10) of Joseph (1838-1909). You may already have the following ........................,.,,..,.,..,.,.,.,.,.,.,., .,.,.,.,.,.,.,., https://www.rm-badges.com/DAPShowGrav...=images_graves

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Haeger

Hi, just joined this forum. Really excited to find others researching Haegers and thanks for the info here. I have visited William Francis Haeger's grave in Gosport and have a photo of his funeral which was sent to me by the RM museum as well as a copy of his service record. He was my great grandfather's brother. My great grandfather was Alfred Haeger. I'd be really interested to hear if any of you have found birth details for William and Alfred's father Joseph (apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this, not sure yet of protocol)
    Thanks
    Bev

Default Haeger

Hi Bev

Not entirely sure of the accuracy of source but I have the following:

William Francis b 12/7/1972 and Alfred Earnest b 3/10/1880. Parents were Joseph b 1838 or 1840, m. Phoebe (Phebe) Tunbridge (b. 1841 Barking) 4/6/1859 at St Dunstans, Stepney. Phoebe d. aged 51 11/6/1891.

Hope this helps - I have not researched any further back as Haegers are hard to find. There is a family belief that our ancestors were of German origin although I have found no evidence to support this.

Regards

Robin

Terry - do you have any further information on Joseph and is your wife's mother's name either Phoebe or Elizabeth?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Robin
    I have joseph and phoebe, and all their children, plus Joseph's second marriage after Phoebe's death and the children from that marriage. The maddening thing is not being able to get beyond Joseph to find his parents, siblings and where he came from
    Best wishes
    Bev

Default Haeger

Same problem I have - be nice to go back further.