MikeH220

Default WW1 RFC & RAF in India

I was hoping to track down some information on my Grandfather who I believe served in India during WW1 in the Royal Flying Corps initially and then RAF. I'm not sure of when - he was born in April 1900 so would be 17 in 1917. I don't have a service number. The database shows 3 names in the RAF in 1918 but there is nothing I can identify him by - maybe I'm hoping for too much? Any help much appreciated.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

If you would like to give us some more information we can see what is to be found for your grandfather. His name and where born, parents? Anything to sort him out from the crowd if his name is a common one. Did he have a middle name etc?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

MikeH220

Hi Christina - he was Harold Hardman. I don't think he had a middle name. He was born in Manchester. He lived on Carisbrook St when he was young. His parents were John and Sarah Hardman. John was a Wagon Inspector on the Railways. Thinking a bit more about his age he wouldn't have been old enough to sign up during the war would he?? But I am sure he was in the RFC so that doesn't add up. Perhaps he joined the RAF and served in India later??

thewideeyedowl

Default Two candidates

Hi Mike

A quick search at The National Archives (TNA) and on Lives of the First World War (LofFWW) shows that there were two by the name of Harold Hardman who served in the RFC/RAF. LofFWW gives this info:

Harold Hardman b 10.4.1900 RFC/RAF No 82338
    Harold Hardman b 1898 RFC/RAF No 121406

TNA has records for both men, which could be viewed for free at Kew or, for a fee, on Find My Past. You might be able to see them on FMP for free in your local library, IF they have a sub; OR by taking out a free trial with the site and then cancelling after you have got the required info.

As you say your man was 17, it looks as if the one born April 1900 might be yours?

But, just to muddy the waters, there are also lots of other men who had the name 'Harold Hardman' and served in many different regiments and the navy; I noticed at TNA that they seemed to be mainly from the north of England.

Swooping off now.

Owl

MikeH220

Thanks ever so much - yes, the first name would stack up. May take a trip to kew or the library. The gardens are nice anyway! :-)

thewideeyedowl

Default Results at TNA

This is the full list of c 30 hits I had for ("Harold Hardman"): https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ardman"%29%29+. Scroll through them all and note the reference numbers of any that could be your man. This will make it easier if/when you visit Kew.

The list also includes MIC references. MICs are available to view for free on Ancestry for a limited time. (You would usually need a sub.)

Enjoy your researches and let us know how you get on.

Owl