Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GrahameParker

Default Army Records 1932-1938

Hello,
    Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain records for an uncle.
    Frederick John Parker
    joined Northampton Regiment as GEORGE PARKER
    Service Number 5882832
    Died in service May 1938(London) aged 36

Many thanks

Grahame

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Grahame,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Army service records after 1921/22 depending on rank are still held by the MoD. Information can be found here regarding the forms to send, along with a death certificate and a cheque for thirty quid.

Then it's just a case of taking up a hobby while waiting, like the rest of the world who have also applied, for the records to arrive.

Pam

GrahameParker

Hi Pam

Many thanks for the reply.
    I was hoping to go down a route not involving the MOD money spinner! How long before they make the records public?

Thanks again

Grahame

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi
    For WW2 records it is about 2020, so it will be around that time!

regard

Robert

In fairness, I don't think the MoD would regard it as a money-spinner. The service probably barely pays its way. If I remember correctly, the cost has been thirty quid for some time. They have to provide a working environment, staff to find the records, presumably photocopy them, etc, as well as store the records.
    I suspect that secretly they can't wait for 2020 (or whenever) to come so they can get some cash from Findmypast/Ancestry who will pay to digitise those records.

Pam

GrahameParker

Wink Records ordered

Many thanks for the help with regards my Great uncle.

It's an unusual one as he was called Frederick John Parker but enlisted as George Parker which is my grandfathers name! The death was also registered in both names by the Coroner after the inquest.

I have applied for the records to help me piece his life together. He died 1938 in service that was suicide. He enlisted in 1932 with the Northampton Regiment possibly because he fiance or wife was there. I can't confirm yet but I think he served in WW1 in the Devonshire regiment with his brothers x 3, the other brother was in the RFA. At the moment the only clue to his wife's maiden name is from the obituary which gives his mother in-law as Mrs Mottram. I can't find any marriages with Parker to Mottram in the BDM.

Question. When the records arrive will it confirm his wife's full name?

Thanks in advance for nay help.

Question. When the records arrive will it confirm his wife's full name?
    You have a 50/50 chance.

Don't forget that his mother-in-law could have married for a second time so her daughter would have the surname from the first marriage.

There doesn't seem to be that many marriages in Northamptonshire between 1932 and 1938 for either a Frederick J or George Parker.
    Presumably you know his father's name, so you could always take a punt on ordering those certificates in turn, specifying his father's name. Although with Parker being a common name, unless dad is called Archibald or Septimus, you could still get the wrong marriage certificate. I don't know if you can specify the groom's occupation when ordering. Might be worth ringing the GRO to ask.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...contact_us.asp

Though you don't know for sure if Fred/George moved to Northamptonshire because his bride-to-be was working there or whether it was her birthplace.

One thing that doesn't quite fit is that you said that Fred might have served in WW1. Unless he lied about his age, wouldn't he have been too young, as he would only have been 16 (17 at most) in 1918. (1938 minus 36 = born 1902.)

Pam

GrahameParker

Default Fred/George

Presumably you know his father's name, so you could always take a punt on ordering those certificates in turn, specifying his father's name

WILLIAM HENRY PARKER died 1915 it would be a very long shot. Might be best to see what they turn up. Considering Fred/George lost his father at 13 it could have driven him to join early, but I am sure he did serve. They do have a Frederick John Parker in the Devonshire regiment. His older bothers all joined with 3 in the Devons and one in the RFA.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Best wishes

Grahame

GrahameParker

Cool The mystery has been solved.

Yesterday I received the records from APC-Army Personnel Centre!

They have done an outstanding job with records from WW1 and pre-WW2.

The story goes;

Frederick John Parker joins the Dorset Regt aged 16 as a boy soldier. He then applies to join the 2nd Devons to serve with his three brothers Holly, William and Vincent in Nov 1919. He transfers to the Devons in 1920 and serves for over 4 years with two in India.

In 1924 he leaves the Devons and serves 7 years reserve.

After is period of reserve he rejoins the Army in 1932 with the Northampton shire Regt. On his entry he has a new forename(George), new DOB and is 7 years younger that his actual age!

He serves with the Northants from 1932-1938 when he dies in service.

The service papers have given me all the missing links and his marriage to Margaret Hogan in Jul 1925, so I have ordered a marriage cert to get her parents details.

Thanks to all your help and to the people at APC, well worth the money!

Best wishes

Grahame

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

good to read this and that it was worth it.

regards

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast