Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Default '1933 Who's Who in Methodism' & 'Hill's Arrangement'

I shall be visiting my parents on the 20th September and would be happy to do some lookups in these two books while I'm there.

'Who's Who in Methodsism 1933' contains details of ministers and those lay people who were Circuit office holders when the Weslyan, United Methodist & Primitive Methodist Churches united to form The Methodist Church in 1932.

Hall's Arrangement' is a list of circuits with their ministers. The lists are online here

https://rylibweb.man.ac.uk/data1/dg/m.../minister.html

[EDIT - My parents' copy is the 1912 edition and contains Wesleyan circuits & ministers up to and including 1912]

There is more information on some of the names and if anyone wants me to check on a name I will be happy to do so.

Mary.
    Last edited by mary elms; 24-09-2005 at 8:30 PM. Reason: Corrections to information

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Hello again Mary,

I was just copying and pasting from my file, to give you some info re my Stephen, in the other message thread. By the time I'd sorted it and posted my reply, this one of yours was already on!

Thank you very much for the offer.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

You're welcome Diane. I hope there's something more there for you. The occasional Methodist questions on this site tend to appear just after I've got back from Devon so I thought I'd try it this way round! Kate's question was no exception - it just happens that I've got to go back sooner than usual this time.

Mary.
    Last edited by mary elms; 08-09-2005 at 10:56 PM.

Val Goddard

My great grandfather was Reverend William Dance GUNSTONE a New Connexions Minister. He died in 1935. At that time he was chaplain at some almshouses in Sheffield. If either of the books give any other information and you have time I would be very grateful - keep meaning to get to Manchester and never quite make it! Home email [email protected]

Hello Val,

The Methodist New Connexion was formed in 1797. In 1907 they joined with the Bible Christians & the United Methodist Free Churches to become the United Methodist Church. They in turn joined with the Wesleyans and the Primitive Methodists in 1932 to form the Methodist Church.

William D Gunstone is definately in Hill's Arrangement where he's listed as a United Methodist minister - see

https://rylibweb.man.ac.uk/data1/dg/m...ters/t4.html#G

And he's probably in Who's Who too. I'll gladly add him to the list.

Mary.
    Last edited by mary elms; 13-09-2005 at 12:10 AM.

Val Goddard

Yes I had found him some time ago in the link you gave.
    Thanks for adding him to the list.
    When I very first started searching censuses his job had been transcribed as a New Conner Minder (or New Connexions Minister as I later discovered) - don't you love it!

Val

Quote Originally Posted by Val Goddard
    When I very first started searching censuses his job had been transcribed as a New Conner Minder
    Now on this one I think I'll have to sympathize with the transcriber - even Methodists have trouble with Connexion - a word we still use to the bafflement of many members.

Mary.
    Last edited by mary elms; 13-09-2005 at 6:02 PM.

Default William D GUNSTONE

Val,

I've e-mailed these details to you but thought I'd post them here as well as they give a good picture of what's in the 1933 Who's Who for the ministers.

From 'Who's Who in Methodism 1933'

GUNSTONE, William D.
    born: 1856 at Deptford
    Theological College: Ranmoor
    entered ministry: 1880 (U)
    married: Annie Walker of Dewsbury
    four sons three daughters
    Circuits: Newcastle-under-Lyne, Manchester, Dewsbury, Newark, Hull, Oldham, Chester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Barrow-in-Furness, Halifax N, Ashton, Rawtenstall, Chaplain of Firth's Almshouses 1927
    Publications: Companion to Minutes of Conference 1889 and 1896
    Address: The Chaplaincy, Firth's Almshouses, Sheffield

Mary.
    Last edited by mary elms; 25-09-2005 at 7:35 AM.

Default Stehen FORREST

Diane,

Hall's Arrangement is an alphabetical list of circuits with their ministers. I found Stephen in 12 circuits but there are some gaps. Like trawling through a census (only fortunately not handwritten) the gaps don't necessarily mean he's not there - just that I didn't spot him. I'd be happy to have another look next time I have access to the book.

I found Stephen FORREST (sic) in the following circuits -

1864 Halifax Place, Nottingham
    1870-72 Hebden Bridge
    1873-75 West Bromwich
    1879-81 St Peter's, Leeds
    1882-84 Wesley, Halifax
    1885-87 Longsight, Manchester
    1888-90 Bury
    1891 Radnor Street, Manchester
    1892-94 Shipley, Bradford
    1895-97 Gledholt, Huddersfield
    1898-1900 Blackburn
    1901-03 Hill Top, West Bromwich

Mary.

PS - You probably know this but just in case - 1) These are circuits, not churches. They may cover a large or a small area depending on local circumstances. 2) The Methodist year runs from September to August which is why, for instance, Stephen is in Bury on the 1891 census.
    Last edited by mary elms; 24-09-2005 at 8:46 PM. Reason: I can't count!!!

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for all this information and for telling me about the 'Methodist year' as I didn't know that!

I've just looked at my file and spotted that I don't have Stephen in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 Censuses. I've got his Parents, but didn't realise that Stephen isn't with them. I should be able to pick him up on Ancestry for two of them, thanks to you, I know to look in Hebden Bridge in 1871.

He didn't start preaching until 1863, so I don't know where he was in 1861, or ten years before that! In 1851, he would only be about 9 years old ...... do you know if future Preachers attended 'special' Schools or anything? Otherwise, I don't know where he can be, as I would have expected him to be with his Parents, but he isn't with them in 1851 or 1861.

Your book goes up to 1912 I believe, do you know of any later editions please? At least I know which year to search for his death, again ..... thanks to you!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast