katranz

Question Register of Vicars?

Hello Everyone,

I have 2 vicars in my family tree and wondered if anyone knew if there was a register. The only registers I have found so far have been current ones.

Also I have 2 Methodist Lay Preachers, are there any lists of these?

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Kate.

Procat

Hi Kate,

There are directories (many of which can be purchased at Archive CD Books) and they may be recorded in one.

It depends on the time frames you are after.

I have The Clergy List 1897 and Crockfords Clerical Directory 1908 and can check if you wish.

If you post the names and time frames I will have a look. Others on the forum may have other years.

katranz

Hello Procat,
    Thankyou for your reply and kind offer.
    Unfortunately the vicars I am looking for were in the 1700's and early 1800's.
    Thankyou again for trying.
    Kate

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Answered on another forum

Kate - I replied to your request here (General English Family History) and only later noticed that you'd posted it in this forum too. A few others have replied too. As you haven't responded in the other thread, I wonder if you've seen the replies yet?

Arthur Kennedy

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by katranz
    the vicars I am looking for were in the 1700's and early 1800's.
    As these Clergy would have been to university, you might try the lists of Oxford and Cambridge Alumni (e.g. Alumni Oxoniensis 1500-1886 was publsihed in 1891). If your Vicars were promoted to Archdeacon or above, then you might try the 'Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae, 1066-1857'.

From when I was a member, I have a recollection that the Society of Genealogists has an index of clergy.

If you know where they were Vicars, you might try the dicoesan archives to see what they hold; I would think that they would at least have ordination records.

If your chaps were in office in 1801, The National Archives at Kew holds a survey called 'The Acreage Returns' in HO67; which is a report by the local priest on the local agriculture. This may include some personal opinions made by the priest.

Geoffers