TimHomewood

Default Jewish watch makers and London guilds

I have a number of forebears who were watch makers in London in the 18th and 19th centuries. The families originated from Europe but I haven't yet been able to trace them back to their places of birth.

I was considering looking through the records of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers but I've read that Jewish tradesmen were not able to join the guilds as were required to take a Christian oath. Is this correct and does this mean there's no putting looking through the records?

For the record, some of my watchmakers are:
    • Solomon HENRY (aka Henry SOLOMONS) born Germany about 1787
    • Angel/Asher Levy CASPER possibly born in Holland about 1762
    • Lewis LEVY/CASPER born London about 1778
    • Nathan LEVY/CASPER born London about 1783
    • Ellis/Elias CASPER (transported to Australia for the Gold Dust Robbery) born London 1784
    • Philip Nathan CASPER born London about 1827

Thanks for any help,
    Tim

Tim
    Late response to your message- Some Jewish Freemen were admitted circa 1730s to Guilds but the number was very limited and it was post 1830 when Jews were admitted to guilds. The Freedom of the City of London Admissions shows Philip Nathan Casper son of Nathan Casper late of 16 Bury St St.Mary Axe watch manufacturer deceased occupying premises at 16 Bury St St.Mary Axe admitted 22 October 1858

Lewis Casper appears in London Apprentice Records as apprenticed as a watch finisher to Asher Benjamin June 1803; in 1805 to Solomon Abrahams and in 1807 as a watchmaker to John Joseph.
    Phillip

TimHomewood

Thanks Phillip, I think it's unlikely my earlier ancestors made it in to the guilds but P N Casper is definitely worth further investigation. I'll head to Guildhall soon to check.

By the way, the lead to the Caspers came from your helpful answer to another thread. It's proved a very fruitful line of inquiry. Thanks for the help.

Tim

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, I also share many of the above watch maker descendants. I have just discovered Elias Casper's grave in Melbourne and his wife Elizabeth Casper. I was wondering if you have discovered any more information on the watch makers. thanks Jonnine

It has been a long time since Tim and I shared the data posted on this thread and Tim has not to my knowledge posted again. The lines we posted on are not my own but see Henry Jacobs and Solomon Henry started 8.6.2014 by Tim and the website Ellis Caspar/Casper which provides data on the lines including his will.From memory I also contributed to the thread on Emanuel 'Money'Moses again some years ago.

Which specific individuals are you interested in? The Australian Jewish Historical Society Journal has a range of articles on the various individuals and you might want to look at the Journal index.The Victoria AJHS has a website - see my thread on the AJHSJ which is a 'sticky' on this forum. Similarly, it would be worth checking the numerous family trees held by the Jewish Genealogical Society Library - see online index of surnames held.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"