debsimpson

Default HAZEL/HAZELL from Bristol

I am interested in John Hazell, also spelt Hazel, a butcher from Bristol and his wife Sarah Pickford, married abt 1804.Any information gratefully appreciated.

Welcome to British-genealogy

The marriage is on familysearch.org
    5 September 1804 at St Philip And St Jacob, Bristol, Gloucester.

What information are you after? Do you have them after 1804? Their children? On censuses? Or do you want to move back with their parents etc?

familysearch.org now has a free photo duplication service Here where you can order the details of the original record which may, or may not, have more information than has been transcribed.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

debsimpson

Hi Christina,
    Thank you so much for the speedy reply That's a great tip about the familysearch duplication service. I will get on to that.
    I have some details of their children.. one of whom was my great grandfather, Charles, baptised 1821 and came to Australia at 14 on his own. Would like to flesh out his story as to why he came at such a young age and where the family were living at the time.I assume he would have been working in Bristol, probably in tough conditions.
    I am also looking for birth dates/locations/parents for John and Sarah.
    I am travelling to England next year which will include a day or two in Bristol. I would love to be able to visit the church, if still standing and any locations they may have lived. I have placed John and Sarah in Sims Alley Bristol in the 1841 census, and Meadows St in 1851. I believe he may have been a butcher at a place called The Exchange Shambles. Have not been able to locate these on a present day map.
    Kind regards and thanks again
    Deborah

Growing old Disgracefully

I just Goggled - St Philip And St Jacob, Bristol, Gloucester. It is still there in Bristol.

Also Wikipedia has information about the Church and Buildings and Architecture

Growing old Disgracefully

Is this the 1851 Census you have

Name: John Hazell
    Address: Meadow St
    Enumeration District: Bristol St Pau
    County: Gloucester
    Birth Place: Somerset, England, Chew Stok
    Relationship: Head
    Marriage Status: Married

Note his occupation is Landed Proprietor not Butcher.

sorry 1841 has his occupation as Butcher

his Burial
    Name: John Hazell
    Burial Date: 2 Jun 1852
    Burial Place: Bristol, St Paul, Portland Square, Gloucestershire, England
    Burial Age: 54
    FHL Film Number: 4225766

debsimpson

Thank you Sandyhall, I didn't have burial details so that will help a great deal. Yes, they were the census listings I had. Not sure how he went from being a butcher to a landed proprietor. Perhaps that means he owned a butcher shop?

Marriage 5 September 1804 at St Philip And St Jacob, Bristol, Gloucester

Burial Date - 2 Jun 1852. Age 54 - birthdate c 1798

1851 census - Age 54 - birthdate c1797
    1841 census - Age 44- birthdate c1797

Wouldn't this make him 6 years old when he married?

Christina

Added: I have moved this thread from Surname Interests to the Gloucestershire forum as the Surname Interests threads are just for posting the names you are researching and are then locked.
    William Burroughs

debsimpson

Thanks Christina, How silly of me to have overlooked that. Obviously these are different John Hazells. Will have to do some more research to sort this out.
    Deborah

Hi Deborah

I didn't really trust myself with the math on those dates - the brain doesn't always sync with what the eyes see.

What record shows your Charles as coming to Australia at the age of 14?

I see his death reg says father's name is John, mother's name unknown but what does his marriage registration certificate say about his parents?

Christina
    William Burroughs

janbooth

Ancestry Select Marriages has a marriage at Bristol on 20 November 1821 for a John HAZELL & a Sarah HORDEN which could perhaps be the marriage of your John & Sarah. Although having said that, I see that Charles HAZELL was baptised on 18 February 1821, aged 7 weeks (according to Ancestry), so unless they married after the birth of their first child - always a possibility - this is not the correct marriage.

Do you have Charles's Death Certificate and does that give any more information about his parents, such as mother's maiden name?

Janet