stan441

Default tracing if there was a bastardy order?

MY father never knew his father. My Grandmother never married and had four children Two named Clarke (her family name) and two named Babbington.. They were a very poor family and she must have had some financial help from somewhere. My only hope is that there is a bastardy order in relation in relation to my father. I have no idea how to go about this and would welcome any help from anyone

Brick wall demolition expert!

You need to look and see if you can find the Petty Session reports for the local jurisdiction. These were the fore runner of today's magistrates court.

Your local record office is probably the best place to start.

Wilkes_ml

Depending on the time your grandfather & his siblings were born, there could be bastardy examinations, allegations and bonds in the poor law records, and petty sessions. There may even be records in the newspaper of the area which covered petty sessions, especially if the alleged father refused to pay, or didn't agree that he was the father.

If the mother couldn't support her children and became a burdon on the parish, then there may be settlement disputes which may end up in the higher courts, and these indictments would be in the County record office. Unfortunately it is a bit hit and miss with regards to bastardy records, and many are not indexed individually, but grouped in batches by year, and those that do remain will be in the County record office.

Reputation beyond repute

It's a filiation or affiliation order that you need. It's important that you tell us the date because that governs the availability of other possible sources.