Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default How to find the mother without a maiden name

I'm trying to research ancestors of Enoch Cattle (b 1809 Clerkenwell, London, d 1891 Islington or Hornsey). I'm good with everything below him - his marriage, children and so forth, it's going backwards that's causing issues. On his birth and baptism records (same for his siblings), it only lists his mother as Elizabeth.

From an old family tree someone did 'manually' back in the 1980's, Enoch's parents came from Yorkshire and were called William (bp 19.3.1786 in St Agatha, Gilling by Richmond and he was a tailor) and Elizabeth ... but no other details on her. I've found a William with the right DoB, but he married a Sarah and I've found a William and Elizabeth, but the dates are wrong.

Without any more on her, I'm struggling to find the right William and Elizabeth.

Can anyone give me any pointers please.
    Thank you
    Jackie

York Herald, 7 Nov 1891
    DEATHS - Cattle - On the 21st October, at his residence 9, Cheverton Road, Hornsey Rise, London, N, Enoch Cattle, in his 82nd year. Six children survive him. He was born in London, November 2nd 1809, son of William Cattle, of York, who was related to Sir Christopher Cattle, of Blake Street, York.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    York Herald, 7 Nov 1891
    DEATHS - Cattle - On the 21st October, at his residence 9, Cheverton Road, Hornsey Rise, London, N, Enoch Cattle, in his 82nd year. Six children survive him. He was born in London, November 2nd 1809, son of William Cattle, of York, who was related to Sir Christopher Cattle, of Blake Street, York.
    Yep, found that already, but it doesn't help narrow down the mother I'm afraid as there are quite a few William Cattles in York & the surrounding area and as far as I know, there isn't a SIR Christopher Cattle

gasser

Not sure if this is the right man...... but have just come across this in Yorkshire, Archbishop of York Marriage licences index, 1613-1839 Transcription which gives a William Cattle marriage to Elizabeth Atlay in December 1798. Can you say whether or not you have eliminated this?

Starting to feel at home

Hi Gasser

Yes I've eliminated that one. I thought it was right until I realised my William would have only been 12/13 at the time of the marriage!

It is possible that the old paper family tree I've used as a basis is wrong, but I'm not sure how to find the right details

gasser

That's unfortunate! In that entry both William and Elizabeth were of age 21. Did Enoch have any siblings who were older than him?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

From an old family tree someone did 'manually' back in the 1980's,
    You need to think how we did our research back then.....I used to get a Saturday a month to myself, the OH looked after the 2 babies...off I went complete with butties to Manchester Central Library where I did my research so recalling,

The only resources available were 1851 & 1881 census / IGI / Parish records/ Family History Societies were in their infancy and family knowledge.

with research was done either in the local / city library or what are now Record Offices.

Some of the records were still housed in the local Churches.......

Hopefully this will take you to the IGI

https://familysearch.org/search/coll...3A5&igi=(1%202)

there isn't a SIR Christopher Cattle
    Christopher CATTLE is listed as a Sheriff of York in 1803

https://www.mansionhouseyork.hostyork....asp?PageID=18

There is a Christopher Cattle
    christening: 18 July 1799
    Sheriff Hutton,York,England

Parents William & Elizabeth!

Will dated 1824
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go....y=0&image1=GO

FMP Transcriptions - Christopher Cattle, buried 12 Aug 1823, St Mary Bishophill Senior, York, age 56. (The death notice in the paper gave his age as 57 and 1804 as the year he was Sheriff).
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast