Christopher CATTLE is listed as a Sheriff of York in 1803

https://www.mansionhouseyork.hostyork....asp?PageID=18

There is a Christopher Cattle
    christening: 18 July 1799
    Sheriff Hutton,York,England

Parents William & Elizabeth!

Will dated 1824
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go....y=0&image1=GO
    Ooooh, I know there were a few Cattles who were Lord Mayor of York, but couldn't find any with the actual title of 'Sir'. Need to look at this properly, but have to do some 'real work' first!
    Thanks Geneius

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    You need to think how we did our research back then.....I used to get a Saturday a month to myself, the OH looked after the 2 babies...off I went complete with butties to Manchester Central Library where I did my research so recalling,

The only resources available were 1851 & 1881 census / IGI / Parish records/ Family History Societies were in their infancy and family knowledge.

with research was done either in the local / city library or what are now Record Offices.

Some of the records were still housed in the local Churches.......
    Exactly - that's what's now making me think there could be some errors in the paper copy I'm using. I know it's pretty spot on up to Enochs time, it's when it goes back past him that it gets a bit hazzy. All the more for me to get my teeth into I suppose!! :-)

gasser

On his birth and baptism records (same for his siblings), it only lists his mother as Elizabeth.
    Who were and where were his siblings born/baptised? Naming patterns, although not conclusive, show possible connections........ did Enoch have a brother called Christopher? The connection to Yorkshire, at the moment, is the newspaper death notice for Enoch.....So Christopher Cattle, will dated 1823, may be Enoch's grandfather .....the will could mention names. Everything at the moment is speculative..........

Wilkes_ml

To be honest, if there is only one obvious birth for Enoch, and only a mother Elizabeth is recorded, then I would guess as Enoch being born illegitimately and would disregard any previous "research" as not every researcher is diligent, and many would often pick the "best fit" from the IGI (now family search) as many still do today. What many people don't seem to realise is that the IGI was only ever a partial index, with many parishes and some whole counties missing. Even now, there are still gaps.

Personally, I would order the actual parish on film and go through marraiges, to see if Elizabeth married after the birth of Enoch, and check whether there were any other children born to Elizabeth.

Have you actually seen the original baptism entry for Enoch? If not then it is important to look at the original....there may be a note in the margin stating what condition Elizabeth was i.e. widow or single. Some curates could be very descriptive, but this additional comments don't make it to the indexes!

edited to add that the England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 database om Ancestry from Family Search, does actually say that the father is recorded as William.

Wilkes_ml

The baptism is actually on ancestry. 16th December 1810, born 2nd November 1809 baptised at St. Giles Cripplegate, London son of William Cattle, Taylor? and Elizabeth. Incidentally it is wrongly transcribed and indexed under AILLE!

Wilkes_ml

There is also a Henry Cattle born 17th June baptised 5th July 1812 at St. James Clerkenwell

Also a possible sibling: William Torry born 26th May, baptised 21st October 1804 son of James Henry Cattle & Elizabeth at St. Luke Finsbury

Starting to feel at home

Enochs siblings were Henry (b.1812 d.1883), William George (b.1819 d.1878), John James (b.1814 d.1815), Martha (Mary) Ann (b.1817 d. 1819), Charles Thomas (b.1824) and Christopher James (b. abt 1822) (haven't found the deaths of Charles and Christopher yet).

All children were born in and around the Clerkenwell kind of area. I've found either the baptism or christening images for all of them and they all say William and Elizabeth and I believe they were living at the same address at all times.

Wilkes_ml

I misread the first post as saying only Elizabeth was on the baptism record, as meaning only Elizabeth and not William, instead of only Elizabeth without a surname!!

Unfortunately church baptism records did not give maiden names of the mother except in very rare cases, such as non conformist records. The only way to find her maiden name is by finding a suitable marriage for William to an Elizabeth, or finding other records which may name her, such as wills, settlement certificates etc.

William & Elizabeth could have married anywhere and moved to Clerkenwell later, so there is the possibility that they are the couple who married at Sherriff Hutton, Yorkshire in 1798.

p.s. correction to #16 William Torry Cattle was son of William Henry not James Henry!

Wilkes_ml

Do you have William & Elizabeth's deaths & Burials which would give a rough estimate of the years they were born?

Valued member of Brit-Gen SandraL's Avatar

If one also knows which cemetery they were buried in. I have done a first name search in that certain cemetery on Find A Grave site. Sometimes I luck out and sometimes not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast