francebone

Default RFC personnel deployment in 1918

My father enlisted in the RFC in Feb 1917. He was a wireless operator, and I think he was with the B.E.F.

His parents received a Christmas Card in 1917, which was the card of the 16th (Irish) Division. In April 1918 he was automatically transferred to the newly formed RAF.

On 6th June 1918 he was gassed. Spent about a week in the hospital at Rouen, and was repatriated to Reading on the 14th June. He was subsequently discharged honourably. Awarded the Silver Badge and the King`s Certificate, both of which I have.

His Service Record gives no indication whatsoever where he served, and whether or not he was part of the 16th Div. And I don`t know which area he was serving in when he was gassed.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find out more about what he did and where?

Thanks Jeanb

I was just about to look at a couple of my sources, when I realised that you haven't given his name. If you have his number(s), that would also help.

francebone

Hallo Lesley - and thanks for your quick reply.

My father was John Hegarty, Service No. 58303. His War Badge No. was RAF 3407.

Hope this may help?

Regards Jeanb

Hi
    THIS research guide at The National Archives gives some hints as to where to look for RFC records in WW1

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

francebone

Many thanks Christina ... I am following up all suggestions.

Regards Jeanb

A fountain of knowledge

His record on FWR is from the RAF formations list -April 1918 the RFC and RNAS were amalgamated into there newly formed RAF and a complete list was made of everyone at that time.
    https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/...yal-air-force/
    I can see he was an air mechanic 3rd class and started with the RFC on 6/2/17 but it doesn't give his squadron I am afraid.
    I hope someone more knowledgable than I will be along shortly to assist further.