Knowledgeable and helpful

Default William Cowling - who was he?

On 2 Feb 1907 William Cowling, aged 30 (b c 1877), arrived in Liverpool on board "Campania" from New York. The passenger list gives no further clue to his identity. Is there any record of his embarkation in New York that might be more helpful?

I am trying to trace a William George Cowling (born 1877) who landed in Montreal in1904 after which there is no trace of him. There is no record of a border crossing to US. Could this be his return trip?

Any suggestions or observations would be most welcome.

Re. "observations", the record on FMP has him as "W G Cowling, age 27, occpn Farmer" sailed 26 May aboard the "Dominion"

The arrival records on Canada Archives has the "Dominion" arriving 5 June with a "William G Cowling, age 27, occpn Bricklayer, Tavistock, destination Toronto".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks, helachau. I have the details of his outward trip. It's what happened to him after that that I am struggling with.

It was the change of occupation that puzzled me?

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    On 2 Feb 1907 William Cowling, aged 30 (b c 1877), arrived in Liverpool on board "Campania" from New York. The passenger list gives no further clue to his identity. Is there any record of his embarkation in New York that might be more helpful?

If he came back in 1907 have you found him on the 1911 Census ?

He might have traveled from Montreal to New York changed ship onwards to Liverpool.

Thought I'd found him just then but its another William Cowling born abt 1877 but this one is a butcher from Durham goingback out in 1929

Free BMD has 5 William Cowling born 1877

Helachau - in 1901 he is shown as a stonemason living with his widowed mother who kept animals on the few acres attached to their home. His brother, who was also a stonemason, was described as a farmer when he went to Canada at a later date.

Sandy - I have not found him in 1911, nor in any Canadian census. I really have no idea where in the world he ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    Helachau - in 1901 he is shown as a stonemason living with his widowed mother who kept animals on the few acres attached to their home. His brother, who was also a stonemason, was described as a farmer when he went to Canada at a later date.

Sandy - I have not found him in 1911, nor in any Canadian census. I really have no idea where in the world he ended up.
    Canadian Archives -
    www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/pages/mega-menu.aspx?lvl=2

Click on "Soldiers of the 1st World War"
    Click on "Search data base"
    Search for "cowling - william george"

The PoB doesn't fit - what was mother's name?

Good god I thought you had found him but no its not the right one his mother name Mary Ann cowling nee' Doidge

As Sandyhall has discovered, sadly not my man.