Thread: O E and C

adorelire

Default O E and C

I was recently at the National Archives and viewed records on my Great-Great Grandfather. I found a Ships Muster Book, also called Muster Open List where he is listed. In one column titled "Whither or for What Reason, and Number and Letters of Promotion Ticket" it says "'Aurora' with O.E. and C. very good."

Can anyone tell me if "Aurora" is the ship he is going to transfer to? or was transferred from? or...?

Also, what does the abbreviation O.E. and C. stand for?

thanks for any help!
    Lisa

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Operating experience and conduct very good ?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...reviations.htm

Explanation of abbreviations on tickets/records
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

adorelire

Helachau, thank you, unfortunately the abbreviation we're looking for isn't there.

adorelire

That sounds plausible to me mikejee! :-) thanks

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adorelire View Post
    In one column titled "Whither or for What Reason, and Number and Letters of Promotion Ticket" it says "'Aurora' with O.E. and C. very good."

Can anyone tell me if "Aurora" is the ship he is going to transfer to? or was transferred from? or...?

Also, what does the abbreviation O.E. and C. stand for?

Lisa
    You don't give the date of the muster but there's a good description of the columns on ship's musters from the era of the Georgian/Nelson navy here - https://www.barnettmaritime.co.uk/navalpaymuster.htm
    though it only says ‘No. & Letter of Ticket’ relates to payment of individuals discharged before the day pay was made aboard.' but with no actual definitions of the letters. I've seen AG 873 and AG 883 in that column. (so that doesn't help??)

Your muster should say D in the D, DD, R column for 'Discharged' to Aurora

The 'Whence and whether prest or not' column should give the previous ship or location he came from. Sadly not all columns are always filled in in every muster.

Aurora was a ship of the line. There are 3 listed here - https://www.ageofnelson.org/MichaelPh...ste.php?char=A - so if you know the date of the muster you should be able to find out which one applies. This site also gives good movement details for the ships so you should be able to see where your sailor went if he was on board.

You should also be able to follow the musters for Aurora from the date of transfer and again find out where your man went next from the 'Whither or for What Reason' column on the Aurora's muster.

Good luck,
    Cheers, MTS

adorelire

Thanks so much emmteeyess. THe muster is from 1863, and the links you provided have lots of great information. Thanks again!
    Lisa