Wilkes_ml

Default Amy Ellizabeth RUFUS b. 1874 Dartford, Kent

Amy Elizabeth RUFUS is a niece of my ancestor and was orphaned in 1885, with the loss of her mother Maria and half sister Caroline two months later.

I like to think that at the age of 11, she wuld have been taken in by her other half sister Ellen BIRCHLEY who had married John Henry A. BIRCHLEY in 1882, and only had one young infant to care for. Her elder brother was single, and as a brass moulder would have been less likeley ito be n a position to care for an 11 year old girl.

Amy Elizabeth is next found in the 1891 census working as a 17 year old general domestic servant in the household of William DAWSON (a journalist and newspaper manager) at Chislehurst (Ref: RG12 632 folio 102 pg 15)

After 1891, there seems to be no trace of Amy Elizabeth. I haven't found a death or marriage for her and was wondering if she emigrated. However a search of the 1890-1960 passenger lists leaving UK showed no possible matches.

This isn't exactly a Brickwall, as I don't need to know what happened to progress, but would love to know what happened to the poor girl, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a marriage in 1902 of an Amy Lilian Rufus to either William Henry Butler or James Jones. Hackney reg district.
    In 1911 there is an Amy Butler with husband William H. She is born 1874 Dartford Kent. They are living at 6B Belsham Street, Flat B, Hackney, London N E

I have been trying to access the marriage image on FreeBMD but no luck at the moment

Christina

Added: There are only two births on FreeBMD for an Amy Rufus anywhere, anytime in UK and the other was in 1915
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Just took a look at the 1911census. Amy says she has been married 12 years because there is an 11 year old son
    Laurence Butler but no suitable birth reg for him however there is a birth reg for a Laurence William Rufus Hackney Dec 1/4 1899. In 1911 he is at school but an invalid.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Wilkes_ml

Thanks Christina...I had seen the marriage entry for Amy Lilian but don't know why I dismissed it, as I should know better about people changing their names ( I think I must have thought I'd seen a birth registration of Amy Lilian!) Maybe being an orphan, she didn't know her middle name.

Wilkes_ml

They sneakily baptised their son Laurence as Laurence William Rufus BUTLER on the 28th January 1900, having been born 10th December 1899!

Hi
    Glad it turned out to be the one and you found the baptism to confirm it.

It could be that the middle name Elizabeth somehow became Lilian between church register and GRO transcripts I suppose.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Do you think she changed her middle name because she had a child outside of marriage or have they all been transcribed wrong. ??

Birth
    Name: Laurence William Rufus
    Registration Year: 1899
    Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration district: Hackney
    Inferred County: London
    Volume: 1b
    Page: 568

Baptism
    Name: Lawrence William Rufus Butler
    Record Type: Baptism
    Baptism Date: 28 Jan 1900
    Father's Name: William Henry Butler
    Mother's name: Amy Lilian Butler
    Parish or Poor Law Union: Hackney St Peter
    Borough: Hackney
    Register Type: Parish Registers

Marriage
    Name: Amy Lilian Rufus
    Registration Year: 1902
    Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration district: Hackney
    Inferred County: London
    Volume: 1b
    Page: 1048
    on the same page
    William Henry Butler

School Addmissions
    Name: Laurence Butler
    Birth Date: 17 Nov 1899
    School: Oldfield Road School
    Borough: Hackney
    Admission Date: 2 Jul 1906
    Parent: William
    Parent 2: Amy
    Notes: Oldfield Road School opened in 1882. Became Daniel Defoe Secondary School in 1951
    Reference Number: LCC/EO/DIV04/OLD/AD/003

this is what I found as well
    I did find them on 1901 Census but have now lost it (dam)

Wilkes_ml

Thanks...I keep forgetting about school records, and Ancestry doesn't seem to pick them up as a hint for some reason. I am guessing Amy may be in the census under the surname Butler, with Laurence and William henry,so I'll have a search for them.

Wilkes_ml

Amy & William Henry gave their address as 38 Ufton Road when they had Laurence baptised, and I finally found that address in the 1901 census. Unfortunately it would appear to be William's (probable) mother Mary BUTLER, and siblings Myles, Agmes & Maud. No sign of Amy, William or Laurence however much I look!