brakow

Default Help in reading a 1903 death certificate

I have just received the death certificate of my GGGmother, but I am struggling to read parts of it.
    I'd be particularly grateful if anyone can what it says under occupation.

Wilkes_ml

widow of Aaron JACOBS Hawker

edited to add: If you upload your images to an external host such as photo bucket, then copy & paste the image code, the image becomes zoomable when clicked on.

Famous for offering help & advice

Widow of Aaron Jacobs,Hawker!

Brick wall demolition expert!

A "Hawker" was a peddler or street seller. Itinerant street dealer who carried his wares with him.

brakow

Thanks for the suggestion. I posted the link here: https://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/...ps973e727c.jpg

Can it be Mark Jacobs? That was her husbands name.

Famous for offering help & advice

I think it still looks like Aaron.

Wilkes_ml

I agree with Pamela ...definitely Aaron, so if you are certain your Esther should have been married to Mark, then either a) you have the wrong death certificate and there is another Esther JACOBS out there or b) her husband had two names and flipped between the two, which isn't uncommon.....I have an ancestor who uses the name Isaac or William on his children's birth certificates (it was only his wife's name of Caroline late bull nee Cornwall that convinced me that Isaac & William were the same person!)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

While I would agree with what Michelle said in post #7, there is another scenario to this particular death certificate.

The only connection the informant had to the deceased seems to be that he was 'present at the death' - there's no 'blood' relation such as son-in-law/nephew/cousin given. So it could be that Abraham thought/believed that Esther's husband was called Aaron; not that he knew Esther's husband was Aaron.

Brakow - Do you have the birth certificate or a baptism record of your GGfather/mother which says that his/her parents are Mark and Esther?

Pam

Wilkes_ml

I hadn't thought of that one Pam!

Going by the address of the informant Abraham, it would appear he was probably a neighbour. Although now we would assume people back then knew their neighbours pretty well when living in a rural area, but those living in the city of London probably moved around a lot so it is quite probable Abraham didn't know her husband if her husband had died quite some time befor Esther did.

I even have direct blood relatives who didn't know the correct name of their deceased father when registering their mother's death!