Wrexthedragon

Default Thomas Evans RAMC Reg No 60131

Hi, I am researching my family tree and I'm looking in particular for any reference to my grandfather Thomas Evans.
    He lived in Mold, Flintshire and his medal card shows he served in The Balkans during WW1.
    I have his victory medal which confirms his number with the one on his medal card.
    I cannot find any service history though. Any ideas??
    I'm told that my grand father spent some time based at Warwick Castle while he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps between 1915 and 1919. I believe in some kind of Army convalescent home or military hospital (there were hundreds!)
    However, Warwick Castle has no record of the building being used for such a purpose.
    I have attached the three photographs I have for your information (somebody my recognise a location).
    Any information you can provide to "fill in the gaps" would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you very much in advance
    Regards

Sadly, over 60% of WW1 service records were burned in WW2.

Quite a few stately homes were used as hospitals and nursing homes, so I'd be looking for such places in the area of Warwick Castle - the name might have been used as a shorthand to designate the area rather than try and explain where a particular house was. That bit of building to be seen on the middle picture doesn't look like the castle itself!

SueNSW

Might be worth trying a question on the Great War Forum where there are real experts including people who have a special interest in RAMC and the nursing services. If nothing else they all like to see good quality photos like yours and may be able to provide some clues from them

Welsh newspapers on line -
    welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

He is mentioned in "The Flintshire Observer, 15 July 1915"

(Search under his service number)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"