Famous for offering help & advice

Default Mary CARTER born c1843 Islington

Mary CARTER is on the 1851 census at Lambeth aged 7, born Islington. I cannot find an obvious birth registration for her.
    On the 20th December 1843 at the Lying-in Hospital, Endell Street, a daughter was born to Elizabeth CARTER (nee WARD) wife of William Marchant CARTER. Their abode is given as Clerkenwell. These are Marys parents and the birth would match Marys age on the 1851 census.
    BUT where would this birth be registered? The only one in Holborn is for an Emily Mary Ann CARTER who dies the following year. Nor can I find one in Clerkenwell district.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Mitch

Loves to help with queries

Don't forget births could be registered weeks after the birth so after 31 December 1843 the next registration quarter is March 1844 and there is a Mary Eliza registered at Islington....possible?

Sue

Yes thanks, I have also just noticed that there is a Mary CARTER birth registered in the St Lukes Registration District. This district was absorbed by Holborn in 1869. I really need to find out exactly which registration district Endell Street was in!!

Correction. I now find that the Lying-in Hospital didn't move to Endell Street until 1849 and was I understand on Brownlow Street (now Betterton Street), off Long Acre. So where was this?

Betterton or Brownlow Street appears to be in the St Martin in the Fields Registration district covered by St Martin church. Endell Street MIGHT be in the Covent Garden St Paul Registration District. So no suitable birth in St Martin at all!!