Thread: HMS Bacchante

willieboy

Default HMS Bacchante

looking for info on my grandad who on on this ship in the first ww his name is william martin number 102926.can not find anything out.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Checking FMP for Navy and Marine William Martins turned up 244 of them! It would help to know when he was born, and where.

SueNSW

If he was born in Co Antrim 19th January 1891 looks like Martin has found your man despite the number discrepancy. He served on HMS Bacchante amongst other vessels having joined the RN in 1909

willieboy

this is my grandfather all details correct. i would like to thank yo very much. now its on and upwards . just to let you know i have his war papers on wax paper but can only read wee bits on it .regards willie

Jane Elderfield

Hello, Willie, and Welcome to the forum.

My grand-dad also served on the Bacchante during WW1, as a Chief Stoker.

I found his documents indexed at the National Archives online.By paying a few pounds, I was able to have a copy of the original Admiralty Record of Seamen's Services sent to me online.

It gives details of his physical description, tattoos and marks, character, promotions, ALL the ships he served on, educational certificates, medals, war gratuities and pension. Well worth having, and can be enlarged and printed from the computer if one wants a paper copy.

Your illegible set of waxed-paper war papers is a treasure, but the Admiralty record will be more legible and useful.

--Jane Elderfield