Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default John Lovegrove, Master House Decorator.

I'm trying to find information on John Lovegrove, born around 1893/4, father Thomas Lovegrove.
    In 1920 he was living in Reading and was described as a 'Painter Journeyman' and by 1922 as a 'Master House Decorator'.
    I've written to the Painters and Decorators Association but had no response so far; anyone got any ideas?

Hi Grandy
    Exactly what information are you looking for? Do you want to find him after 1922 or do you want to take him back from the 1911 census?

Also where was he born who did he marry? Anything to identify him.

If you are wanting to trace him after 1922 through children and grandchildren then please be aware that Brit-Gen does not allow the posting of the names of people who may still be living. The private message system can be used for this.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if you think there's some special significance in the term "Master House Decorator". It may simply mean that he's taken a boy on. Or he may just have inflated his job title for whatever BMD certificate it's on.

Hi Christina
    John Lovegrove was my wife's grandfather so what I'm really trying to do is trace his line backwards as far as I can.
    He married Mildred Doris Goodey in Reading in 1920 and on the marriage certificate it has his father listed as Thomas Lovegrove (deceased) and his age as 26; it also has his occupation as a 'Painter Journeyman' and both his and MDGs address as 89 Cholmeley Road in Reading (which we think was the home of MDGs grandmother, Hephzibah Goodey (nee Fisher).
    On my wife's fathers birth certificate (28/02/1922) he is listed as a 'Master House Decorator' but he is living at 32 Sycamore Road in Reading and MDG is at 84 Carnarvon Road in Reading.
    In 1924, MDG married Timothy Cooper and, on that wedding certificate, she describes herself as a spinster. The family rumour is that John Lovegrove was MDGs uncle but I can't find anything to prove that although her mother was Gertrude Lovegrove before she married Oliver Osman Goodey.
    I seem to have hit a dead end with John Lovegrove and Thomas Lovegrove as the only combination I can find with those names and dates were from the Isle of Wight where John Benwell Lovegrove married someone called Evans in 1928; this could be the same John Lovegrove but I can't prove it.
    I was hoping to get more luck by following the occupation path.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

89 Cholmeley Road in Reading (which we think was the home of MDGs grandmother, Hephzibah Goodey (nee Fisher).
    You can confirm this by checking the relevant Electorall roll however it looks as if the family may have lived at this address for a considerable number of years
    1911 census confirms the following at the address

GOODEY 71
    GOODEY Hanton 35
    WARD John 50

This information is no help at all with John Lovegrove but I just got curious about the 1911 census details geneius posted. It just says Mrs Goodey 71 widow married 44 years 6 children, 4 have died, 2 living.
    Hanton single, biscuit maker at Huntly and Palmer.
    John Ward, son in law, widower, married 10 years, 1 child of the marriage which has died. So I think the following info is relevant to John Ward. There are other deaths of children named Ward in Reading district 1890 to 1900 but the names Caroline Hepzibah seem significant
    Marriage
    June 1/4 1890
    Caroline Deborah Goodey
    John Ward
    Reading 2c/712

Death March 1/4 1900
    Caroline Deborah Ward age 38
    Reading 2c/329

Death June 1/41895
    Caroline Hephzibah E Ward age 3
    Reading 2c/217

Now to see if I can find anything that will actually help in the search for John Lovegrove

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Geneius
    We did pay a visit to the Berkshire Records Office and looked through the Electorall Registers which is where we got most of the addresses from; that and the Census results too.
    Goodey, 71 was Hephzibah and Hanton was actually Harold Goodey, her son; John Ward was her son in law.

Hi Christina
    Thanks for that, I had 3 sons for Hephzibah and Benjamin but not a daughter. I can now add Caroline, John Ward and little Caroline to my Ancestry tree.

Andy

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you followed and accounted all the sons of Thomas,

I keep drifting back to David b 1894!

Me too, but I can't find anything to firm it up.
    He was certainly born at around the right time and he would fit the family rumour about MDG marrying her mothers brother but I just don't have enough info to pin him down.
    I may have to visit the National Archives in Kew to see if they have any details about the marriage being annulled (if that is the case), I did contact them but those records aren't online.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast