Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

I note that Mildred would have been a minor on her marriage to John LOVEGROVE and probably needed parental permission!

It is also likely that she was in a well advanced state of pregnancy a dau being born Oct - Dec 1920

Does the certificate state LICENCE as opposed to Banns?

Are the witnesses relevant / relatives?

It may be worthwhile getting the other 2 children's birth certificates...to see what has been 'declared'

In 1924, MDG married Timothy Cooper and, on that wedding certificate,
    This marraige took place in July 1924 some 6 months after the birth of her 3rd LOVEGROVE child, I have seen the cert on line which states the marriage was by Licence

she describes herself as a spinster.
    If she was separated & leading her own life she probably thought of herself as that...divorce in the 1920's was not as we know it today....do you know what happened / who cared for the LOVEGROVE children? Or did Timothy COOPER 'take' them on?

Reputation beyond repute

I may have to visit the National Archives in Kew to see if they have any details about the marriage being annulled (if that is the case), I did contact them but those records aren't online.
    Have you read the National Archives guidance on divorce?

I did contact the Archives and their response was,

"Records of applications to annul a marriage, known as petitions for/of nullity, are included in record series J 77 Divorce and Matrimonial Causes Files. You can search for them by name using the Advanced search facility in Discovery, our catalogue, restricting your search to series J 77 and the date range you require. The files for this period have not been digitised, and cannot be downloaded."

So it looks like a visit will be required.

It's a complicated story but the 3 children grew up thinking that they were Coopers and kept that as their family name, even after they knew the truth; their descendants still use it so I have in laws, nieces, nephews etc who are still Coopers.

I did find out that John Lovegrove and Timothy Cooper were both living at 32 Sycamore Road, Reading in 1923 so we can guess what happened there! But I can't work out why they were living apart when my wife's father was born in 1922, MDG won't appear on the Electoral roles for that period.

Am I right in thinking that, when women first got the vote, they had to be both 21 AND a property owner?

The National Archives Here says 'An annulment was a form of legal separation which protected the wife's rights and kept the children legitimate, but neither party could remarry unless the other died'
    And
    Declaration of nullity
    The church (consistory) courts of the bishops could grant a declaration of nullity, meaning the marriage was considered invalid from the start. The children became illegitimate and the wife lost her right to inherit from her husband.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina
    Our National Archives say more or less the same thing which just adds to my mystery.
    The marriage was a civil one (Reading Registry Office) but when MDG married Tim Cooper it was in Aldershot Church. I find it hard to believe that they would have lied as MDG as always known as Doris but used her full name on all of the official documents that I've seen.
    Never say never though!

Find My Past has a military record for John Lovegrove, No 1951. Occupation at time of attestation = "Painter". Place of birth = "Parish of Early, Reading". Father's name = Thomas Lovegrove, address 38 Grange Abbey, Wokingham Road, Reading".

However, age at attestation on 12 Oct 1907 = 19yrs 3 mths, which gives approximate DoB 1888 which does not "fit" with age on marriage cert.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Looking at the info I've gathered so far, I get the feeling that John Lovegrove may not have been completely honest so it is possible that he was older than he declared on the marriage certificate. The family rumour is that MDG married her mothers brother but didn't know it and, whilst I haven't been able to find a link to those particular Lovegroves (her mother was Gertrude Lovegrove before she married Oliver Osman Goodey) I can't rule anything out at the moment. I'll certainly check out the JL that you mention, thanks.

Re. the "38 Grange Abbey" address, you can find this Thomas on the 1901 Census at RG13 1152 86 5
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you looked for adverts in the local paper offering his services as a Painter, I am presuming he was a domestic decorator and also trade directory for the time

Have you followed / looked at the marriage of John E LOVEGROVE to Charlotte FEWTRELL 1927 ( it may have been a church marriage so sourcing the records in the library maybe a cheaper option!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast