scouse007

Default Help to go back further than 1750's

Hi
    I am looking for help to go back further, My 4th G Grandfather Joseph Gibson born around 1753/7 in Liverpool Lancashire - he was a Slater and Plasterer by trade and possibly a jouneyman - I have his Marriage and death, married to Catherine Hughes on 14 Jan 1773 at St Peters Liverpool, I believe I would have to use Parish records, I have attempted this with not much success ...need more knowledge. I can not just go to the records office as I no longer live in Liverpool...were do I go from here, I am on Ancestry What would I have to do ? Any help would be appreciated.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

You need to refer to Parish Registers (PRs) Bishops Transcripts ( BTs) are a copy of the PRs and may have transcription errors.

Any other record held by the Church

Liverpool Record Office may help ( I know of one RO that allows 10 mins to find copy etc for free but you virtually need to have a lot of detail)

Familysearh.org

There are resource centres where you can order the film for a small fee and view

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/ Lancashire parish records.

Not all records have been digitalised yet!

YOu could also check out genuki.org.uk

janbooth

His burial record shows that he was aged 87 in 1837, so you could be looking for his birth/baptism as early as 1749. Looking at the baptisms in Liverpool c1750-60 on Ancestry, I cannot find a baptism for a Joseph GIBSON, but there is a baptism in 1750 for a John GIBSON son of Thos GIBSON, Glazier, & one in 1752 for a Mary GIBSON daughter of John GIBSON, Joiner which may be relevant to you given that both fathers were in the building trade and your Joseph was a Slater/Plasterer.

Janet