Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albert Walker

DonnaLowrie

Question Albert Walker

Hi I am looking for any information on my grandfather Albert Walker born about 1883 in Birmingham, and served in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He moved to NZ in 1922 and is buried in the Rotorua Soldiers Cemetery. If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction I would be most grateful

Thanks Donna Lowrie

There are 7 Albert Walkers (3 without a middle name) listed in Ancestry's index to WW1 medal cards. His service number would help identify which is yours. If you don't have his medals, maybe it's on his Rotorua inscription?

DonnaLowrie

Thanks Lesley unfortuneatly it just say Albert Walker Age 70 date of death and Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He had died before I was born and now that I am investigating this no one from my family has any further information. I know he didnt have a middle name.

cheers

Donna

Well, one of the 3 without a middle name was KIA, and your guy survived, so that leaves 2 on the medals roll:

34920 Pte Albert Walker. He only got the Victory and British medals, which indicates that he joined up (or at least went to battle) after the end of 1915, no other info provided.

3186 (and later 240839) Pte Albert Walker.He had the 15 Star as well as the V&B medals, having arrived in France on 25 Jun 1915. He was discharged on 18 Sep 1917 and also had a Silver War Badge, which indicates that he was no longer fit for service. According to his SWB card, he'd joined up on 5 Nov 1914, discharged due to wounds 9 Oct 1917, aged 22.

There is also a pension application for 44272 Pte Albert Walker (that service number does not appear on the medal table list, so he may not have left Britain). He had served since 1914, but was discharged as physically unfit for War Service in 1915. His father was James Walker of Rugby. His attestation papers are available under "pension records" on Ancestry. His birthdate is given as 7 May 1894.

Hopefully you can eleimnate one or more of them.

DonnaLowrie

Thanks again

I think we can eliminate 3186 as he would not have been old enough as my Albert was born approx 1883. I also know my Albert was deaf, but am not sure if it was a result of the war or after the fact. His fathers name was according to his death cert was Edwin and his mothers name was Anne nee Osborne. I wonder if it may have been the Boer war. This man is very elusive.

cheers

Donna

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Think we need to start at the beginning, I see a tree on ancestry for an Albert WALKER s/o Edwin Wylam WALKER married Fanny GEORGE

Certificate is on line & Reads

Albert Walker
    Birth Year: abt 1882
    Marriage Date: 6 Oct 1907
    Marriage Age: 25
    Marriage Place: Aston, St Peter and St Paul, Warwickshire, England
    Spouse: Fanny George
    Spouse Gender: Female
    Spouse Marriage Age: 26
    Father: Bert Walker
    Spouse's Father: Fred George

This couple & child can be found on the 1911 census
    34 George Street West Birmingham
    DURHAM Alexander Charles 27
    WALKER Albert 29 Servant Birmingham
    WALKER Fanny 29 Servant Evesham
    WALKER Ivy 2

Is this the family you are looking for?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Edwin Wylam WALKER born West Hartlepool Timber Merchant, died in Bournemouth 1933 leaving a substantial estate. Grant of Probate was to Barclays Bank

He married Meggie Stover in 1889 in Belsize Park London

Appears to have spent his life in the NE England, no child named Albert

DonnaLowrie

Hi Yes this is my family

cheers

Donna

SueNSW

Not sure where you are Donna but have you had any contact with the RSA in Rotorua (think they were responsible for returned soldiers burials) - https://www.rotrsa.co.nz/ - they appear to have a small museum with a curator - perhaps they could help or suggest some avenues

Pity Papers Past doesn't go into the 1950's as he may have had a mention/death notice in a local paper

SueNSW

Just to throw up another possibility - was he known as Bertie do you know??

42550 Bertie Walker - served with 1st Battalion - awarded British War Medal and Victory Medal which means he didn't enter a theatre of war until after the beginning of 1916

As he was a married man with child/children he wouldn't have been liable for conscription until after May 1916 - so it's a possibility???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast