Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Albert Walker

DonnaLowrie

Hi thanks for this. I have tried the Rotorua RSA and apparently they only keep records of NZ Soldiers. I have also been down to the grave and there is no furhter information on it. I have just spoken to my cousin who was around when he was alive and she recollects Fanny calling him bertie but how wide spread that would be I do not know. Do you know if it is possible to get the military records? and if so how ?

cheers

Donna

SueNSW

Sorry Donna - only around 40% of British records from WW1 have survived - following a fire during WW2. Those that have, have been digitised and can be found on Ancestry - and more recently Find my Past. From a quick look there doesn't look to be any possibilities for him amongst them

There are virtually no clues from any of the usual sources about this man - except that he did apparently survive the war

If you are local to Rotorua maybe local newspapers for around the time he died might be the next step

Good Luck

DonnaLowrie

Thanks for trying this man has been very elusive I can't even be sure of his birth, this was my last hope to try and get a thread to his ancestors, hopefully something will turn up

cheers

Donna

Donna, I'm confused. Message 6 indicates that his father was called Bert. Message 7 suggests that Edwin didn't have an Albert. In message 8 you say "this is my family", but which one? 7 or 8?
    Death certs are recognised as being the least reliable of the certificates (eg my Great Uncle got his own mother's forename wrong on his father's death cert, but she had died when he was young and he probably only knew her as "Mum"). I think that you need to go back and take another look at Albert - maybe track down the marriage/death certs of his siblings - and get a second opinion on his father's name.

DonnaLowrie

Hi Lesley
    You are quite right My Albert Walker has nothing to do with this Edwin the family I was referring to was in thread 7. So in a nut shell Albert (aged 25) married Fanny George (aged 26) 6 Oct 1907 and had a daughter Ivy Jul 1908 when in England and had another daughter Frances (my mother) when they came to NZ Apparently there was a son at some stage but he died as a child but I cannot find any evidence of this. Albert and Fanny's marriage Banns says Albert's fathers name is Bert, his death cert which I have say his father was Edwin and his mother was Anne nee Osborne. His grave stone says he was 70 and he died in Dec 1953. On the passenger lists coming to NZ in Jun 1922 it says they are both 40. This is all the information I have documented. I really appreciate any help I can get as I really am stuck.

Cheers

Donna
    [email protected]

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Albert WALKER Mrs WALKER both aged 40 together with daughter Ivy sailed on the Athenic for NZ on 29 June 1922, they give their UK address as 168 Brantley Road Witton B'ham

Earlier you mention Fanny WALKER I have found she visited the UK in 1956

Arriving 8 June on the Rangitoto staying at 114 Monument Road Ladywood Birmingham 16 dob given as 22 July 1882

Departing 19 Nov 1956 on the Rangitoto having been at 14 Monument Road Ladywood Birmingham 16 dob given as 22 July 1881

Note house number and year of birth slightly different

You state that Fanny has a daughter your mother, so she must have been over 40 when this event occurred!

At 1911 census they indcated that they only had one child, nine having died.

I can find no trace of a live birth in Birmingham between 1911-1922 when mother's maiden names were added to the registration www.freebmd.org.uk

DonnaLowrie

Yes most of this is correct, Whilst my mother has been registered as Albert and Fannys daughter it is our belief she was in facts Ivys child. I actually have a copy of Fannys Birth Cert which is 1881, however all through her life her year of birth switches between the two. I can infact trace Fannys family reasonably well, but Albert is my brick wall and becoming higher by the minute

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaLowrie View Post
    Yes most of this is correct, Whilst my mother has been registered as Albert and Fannys daughter it is our belief she was in facts Ivys child. I actually have a copy of Fannys Birth Cert which is 1881, however all through her life her year of birth switches between the two. I can infact trace Fannys family reasonably well, but Albert is my brick wall and becoming higher by the minute

Donna
    You posted this while I was putting together this

The marriage of Albert & Fanny

Albert Walker
    Birth Year: abt 1882
    Marriage Date: 6 Oct 1907
    Marriage Age: 25
    Marriage Place: Aston, St Peter and St Paul, Warwickshire, England
    Spouse: Fanny George
    Spouse Marriage Age: 26
    Father: Bert Walker Tool maker
    Spouse's Father: Fred George

At the time of the marriage they both declared they were living at 137 Lichfield Road B'ham

This is the address in 1911 of Alfred & Emma DYSON ( prev GEORGE nee EVANS)

witnesses Henry EVANS & Elsie TITCOMBE

Just staying with Fanny her parents were Frederick GEORGE married Emma EVANS Evesham 1875

In addition they had Caroline b 1878 may have married a Henry EVANS in 1897

Just cannot see anything for the other witness

I would recommend that you review your family tree on ancestry!

Albert and Fannys daughter it is our belief she was in facts Ivys child.
    You could well be right, we have 2 instances in our family tree of this!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12