Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Lost G Grandfather

I can't find any records after 1914 for John Walpole born in Hockering, Norfolk in 1852.

The 1881 census has him as station master at Roudham Junction, Norfolk
    The 1891 and 1901 has him as station master at County school station, Norfolk.
    The 1911 census has him as station master at Wendling station, Norfolk.
    He is on a voting register in 1914 for Wendling, still living in the station master house.
    I have info on his children and wives, but do not know when he died or where buried. One of his sons moved to East London/Essex so it's possible that he went there when he retired. As I say, I can't find anyting after 1914. Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

There is a death registration for a John Walpole, born about 1853.

Date of registration Mar 1940 Registration district East Dereham
    Julie

Starting to feel at home

Thanks mate, but the John Walpole you refer to is another branch of my tree. John is a very popular name in my family lol. Thanks again for replying. Phil

The 1911 census has him as married but his wife is not with him and his son Sidney age 17.
    Did John remarry to Edith Ellen Smith in 1904 or Edith Nobbs in March 1/4 1911 after his wife Maria Louisa nee Nobb's death in 1891?
    Do you have his second wife's death reg?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Sidney Nobbs Walpole birth was reg in 1894, He had 4 brothers, Ernest James Walpole, Edgar Walpole, John T Walpole and
    Francis Nobbs Walpole. These 4 boys mother was Maria Louisa Walpole nee Nobbs. Maria Louisa died in 1891, so Sidney was the son of the 2nd wife. As to her name, the fact that Sidney had the middle name of Nobbs would suggest is was Edith Nobbs, Maria Louisa Nobbs sister. I am waiting for a copy of Sidney's birth certificate, which I hope will clarify who his mother was. I do have relatives who live in East Dereham, but the one person who could help me is in her late 90's and her memory is not so good. She has a son also called Sidney and I am trying to trace him, as we share the same G Grandfather.
    Thanks for the replies and if/when I found anything new I will update this thread.
    Phil

Starting to feel at home

Sidney Nobbs Walpole's mothers name was Edith Nobbs, his birth was in 1894 in North Elmham, Norfolk. If John did remarry Edith Nobbs, why did he wait until 1911 to remarry. The 1901 census has Edith as his wife, but I can't find anything to show the marriage happened before 1911. I shall continue searching.

gasser

Prior to 1907, it was forbidden for a man to marry his wife's sister. See https://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145.html

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Gasser, the mist clears. So the record of them marrying in 1911 could well be correct, will have to see if I can get a copy of the certificate. Edith Nobbs was in London in 1891 (1891 census) so may have come back to Norfolk when her sister died later that year. She appears on the 1901 census as John Walpole's wife so it would seem that between 1891 and the birth of their son in 1894 they were living together. Re the 1911 census. Edith (Nobbs) Walpole appears on the census for Brandon, Norfolk staying with the family of George Soloman. This would be the correct Edith Walpole as both George Soloman and my G grandfather were station masters at North Elmham station and County School station. As these two stations were only a few miles apart, it is almost certain that they knew each other.

As for my G grandfather it would appear that the John Walpole buried in East Dereham in 1940 could well be him.

I hope all this makes sense.

gasser

All makes perfect sense.
    There is also a death registered for Edith Walpole aged 81, in December1950 East Dereham which ties in.

gasser

Just found this which might be of some interest to you.....https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main...ad.php?t=25355

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast