Thread: Louisa Goldwin

Cara59

Default Louisa Goldwin

Hi, My 3x great grandmother was Louisa Goldwin. She married Benjamin Francis in Islington in June 1828 and from then on I have no problem with her, she appears on every census as Louisa Francis until her death in Hackney in 1882. However I can find no trace of her before her marriage. According to the census she was born around 1807 in St George in the East, but I have never found any birth record for Louisa Goldwin. The only possible link I have is that on the 1841 census, there is a Harriet Goldwin living with Louisa and Benjamin, described as a servant. There are no relationships shown in 1841 so I don't know if Harriet could be a sister or even her mother. There only appears to be about 14/15 years between them in age but I know the census was rounded up or down. I'm lost with this one, if anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful!

Welcome to British-Genealogy Cara59

Just as a base from which our members can search here is the 1841 census
    HO107piece 700 book 1, folio 34 page 13
    High ? Stoke Newington Road West Hackney
    Benjamin Francis 34 Shoemaker Born in county? Yes
    Louisa Francis 34 yes
    Elizabeth Francis 9 yes
    Ebenezer Francis 5 yes
    Benjamin Francis 2 yes
    John Joseph Francis 6 weeks yes
    Harriet Goldwin 48 servant NO

The ages do not appear to have been rounded down by the enumerater, otherwise they would all end in a 5 or a 0 for those over the age of 15.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Cara59

Default Thanks

Thanks Christina
    Yes, I have that census and because the ages don't seem to have been rounded, there appears to be only 14 years between Harriet and Louisa. They must be related, but how? There is a birth in Buckinghamshire for a Harriet at about the right time but nothing for Louisa anywhere. I wonder if Harriet was her mother and the birth was hushed up. I don't know if Louisa would have needed a birth or baptism certificate in order to marry. I think I have the right death for Harriet the following year, so no information available on the 1851 census, which did give relationships.
    Thanks again

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Cara59 View Post
    Thanks Christina
    I don't know if Louisa would have needed a birth or baptism certificate in order to marry.
    Simple answer is no she would not - people did not have to prove their identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cara59 View Post
    Thanks Christina
    I think I have the right death for Harriet the following year, so no information available on the 1851 census, which did give relationships.
    Have you got the death certificate?

If not it may well be worth getting to see who the informant was and how they were described. E.G. Louisa Francis, daughter.

Cara59

Default Thanks

I haven't got the Death Certificate yet, but I think it's going to have to be the next step. I'm not sure what information you get on 1841 Death Certs, which has put me off doing it so far.

The GRO, which allows you to order on line, also has an excellent Q&A section: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...nt_to_know.asp