Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Jeff
    I expect you already have these details about David Crawford but I see from the calendar of marriage bonds and allegations on Fs
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....1302,165412401
    that he is a goldsmith age 25 in 1770.
    Googling, he seems to have been active as a goldsmith and jeweller at Side, Newcastle from 1768 - 1784 along with a James Crawford. James was active from 1761 - 1795 when he died.
    I' d guess David and James were related.
    The Crawford name makes me suspect Scottish origins.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Hi Jeff
    I expect you already have these details about David Crawford but I see from the calendar of marriage bonds and allegations on Fs
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....1302,165412401
    that he is a goldsmith age 25 in 1770.
    Googling, he seems to have been active as a goldsmith and jeweller at Side, Newcastle from 1768 - 1784 along with a James Crawford. James was active from 1761 - 1795 when he died.
    I' d guess David and James were related.
    The Crawford name makes me suspect Scottish origins.
    Just thinking - there may be an apprenticeship record for David Goldsmith somewhere.

A possibility - Tyne and Wear archives, Newcastle Guilds
    Goldsmiths
    ref GU.GO(part MF) 298

Starting to feel at home

I didn't have that information, thank you Grisel.
    They appear to be a wealthy family - shame it hasn't filtered down to me.
    Jane Ann was living with her sister Catherine in Tynemouth in 1851 - they were unmarried 'Annuitants'.
    Jane Ann was living with her widowed sister Elizabeth in Darlington in 1861 - they were both described as being a 'lady'.
    James Bowes, Elizabeth's husband, was a Solicitor and on a family tree on Ancestry has a portrait painting.

The Newcastle Courant, 23 May 1795 reported the death "Saturday Morning last, James Crawford, many years a a Goldsmith and Jeweller, in this town; respected when living, which makes his death greatly lamented".

Age at death not specified
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I have looked at the relevant pages James SCaife CRAWFORD is listed under the year 1771, however the year headed 1772 appears to be a motley collection of baptismal recordings there is one for 1775!

Counting months James was born 29 July 1771
    Catherine was born 15 July 1772 but that is conjecture taking into account my comment above

Reading the front of the Register is interesting

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The Newcastle Magazine - Volume 4 - Page 244

May 1825

At Greenfield-place, near Newcastle, David Crawford, esq., in his 87th year

York Herald 23 April 1825 obit 16th April 1825

There are other references to the family on books.google

Newspapers

Newcastle Courant 29 March 1777

markmccormack

Some interesting reading you may need for later:

================================================== ===========
    Mrs. Mary Lister NRO672/1/CO/5 1763-1810

These documents are held at Northumberland Record Office

Contents:
    And her estate in Jackson's chair, Pandon Dene and and Willow Plantation, Newcastle. Residue of the estate to her niece Tryphosa Knowles, wife of James Knowles of Newcastle, innkeeper. Letters from Knowles and William Tatham attorney.
    Barbara Webster also a niece of Mary Webster and a beneficiany, in dispute with Knowles. Includes
    Correspondence and vouchers.
    Will of Mary Lister. 15 January 1769.

================================================== ============
    Catharine's brother John Scaife married Tryphosa Knowles in 1769
    ================================================== ============
    Tryphosa was housekeeper at an estate in the area. Old story of a wedding where Tryphosa was attendant "The wedding of ??? Bird" I recall ... John Scaife's Father is listed on LDS for you to track back further

janbooth

Whitehead's Newcastle Directory shows David CRAWFORD, Goldsmith, Jeweller, Jewellery, Precious Metals, at Side, Newcastle upon Tyne, in 1778. Bailey's Directory shows him at Side, Newcastle upon Tyne, in 1784, his occupation being shown as goldsmith jeweller smelter refiner jewellery/precious metals metal work chemistry - obviously a talented chap.

In UK Poll Books & Electoral Registers of Newcastle upon Tyne dated 1741, there is a reference to David CRAWFORD & James CRAWFORD who are both Cordwainers - could they be the next generation back of your CRAWFORD family?

Do you have a copy of David CRAWFORD's Will? He appears on the Death Duty Index for 1826 and his Executor/Administrator is James S CRAWFORD. If you do not already have a copy, it might give you some further clues.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

James's wife Sarah was also a goldsmith. I wonder whether it is Sarah Hills who married a James Crawford in 1864. If so David and James were probably brothers going by the date of marriage. I was hoping to find that James was David's father.

Janet
    How do I get a copy of a will please?

Jeff

You may be interested to look at the Durham University Library's special collections family records which are in the process of being digitised and available on family search. They include marriage bonds and pre 1858 wills including David Crawford's and various Scafe wills. So far only the very early wills have been digitised but they will copy the later ones for a £5 fee (min order £10)
    https://
    familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/

I had great fun looking through and that is how I was led to the image of the marriage bond in 1770 on FS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast