Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default 5x Great Grandfather David Crawford

The last information I have is David Crawford marrying Catherine Scaife at St. John, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne 10 November 1770. I have details of all their 6 children.
    I'd like to go back further if I can. There is a Catherine Scaife baptised in Tanfield, Durham in 1746, so she could be a possibility, as Tanfield is only about 10 miles from Newcastle.
    Nb. Spellings of Catherine Scaife may vary.

Thanks

Jeff Crawford

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you looked on familysearch.org, then obtained a copy of the relevant Parish Register entry?

A tree is no good if you cannot verify it!

Hello Jeff
    familysearch.org now have a photoduplication service Here which is free and saves waiting weeks for the film to be delivered to your nearest centre.
    The original may just give more information than is given in the transcription on familysearch.org.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Hi Christina
    Do I need to click on the film number? If so, I did, but there was no image available. Or do I need to do something else?

Jeff

Chris is our 'night shift' living down under!

I presume you have the record you want to look at on the main search page, there is an icon to the right ( sometimes a camera) click on the icon it should take you thro' to a resume of the entry you wish to look at you then have at the bottom of the info the record details where this can be found in the Familysearch archives, it is this needed to order the film/ copy.... pm me if you need further help

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Geneius

I've just checked there is no camera icon for that marriage

markmccormack

Quote Originally Posted by catfordcrooner View Post
    The last information I have is David Crawford marrying Catherine Scaife at St. John, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne 10 November 1770. I have details of all their 6 children.
    Hi!

I was wondering if you would mind posting the information you have for the 6 children. The reason I am asking, is that there are two children registered on the same date (about 1 year after their marriage). One gives a birth date - consistent with the marriage date And the other is registered on the same date - "James Scaife Crawford" - no birth date given.

I know it may have been a twin, but I am suggesting that you not rule out a previous marriage (James Scaife? etc.) or out of wedlock - so her maiden name may be Scaife and the first child's father may still have been David's etc.

Just a thought.

(my wife is a Crawford and I have an unpublished Family History left to me by her father)

And the other is registered on the same date - "James Scaife Crawford" - no birth date given.

I presume the information is from familysearch or some other where the original entry is not on line

A good reason to look at the original Parish Register entry, not rely on ta resume on the internet! It could be a baseborn child whose father is SCAIFE....the officiating minister may have made notes.

The parish would not want to be funding such a child if the father was known!

Starting to feel at home

I found the records on Ancestry.
    All are at St. Nicholas, Hanover Square
    James Scaife and Catherine are on opposite sides of the image. At the top of the pages are 1771 and 1772, although it says 1771 against Catherine's name, a bit confusing
    Elizabeth 1780
    John 1783
    Jane Anne 1785
    Robert 1787

On the page headed 1771 it states
    Col 1 - Aug 27
    Col 2 - James Scaife, son of David and Catharine Crawford, of the Parish of St Nicholas, born July 29 and baptised Aug 27 by Lowthian

On the page headed 1772 (5 names entered) it states (last entry)
    Col 1 - 1771 Aug 15 (the entry is quite legible - no mistaking)
    Col 2 - Catharine, daughter of David and Catharine Crawford of the Parish of St Nicholas, born July 15, baptised Aug 15

The 1772 headed page (5 listed) is somewhat confusing in that between the first 2 entries (which would appear to be 1772) and Catharine's entry, there are baptisms for Nov 3 1775 and May 30 1778.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast