Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Famous for offering help & advice

David seems to have been first of all a gold and silver smith and then a smelter as Janet mentioned above. A google book a Journey through England & scotland to the Hebrides tells us that 'he was the proprietor of a manufactory entirely devoted to the extraction of gold and silver from the cinders of workshops of mints and goldsmiths.' He had large coal fired furnaces. Elsewhere I saw him described as a coal man and of some wealth.

This does make me think that he may have acquired some of that wealth by marrying Catherine Scafe. If she is the daughter of John Scafe of Tanfield as suggested then she may have inherited money or land from her father. I am guessing (tho I could well be wrong) he is the John Scafe who died in 1769. What a pity it was not a year later as she may have been mentioned in the will as a married woman. But maybe still a will worth looking at.

janbooth

Durham University website seem to hold Durham Wills pre 1858 , as grisel has mentioned in post 20. Each photocopied Will looks to cost £5 - check their site for information on how to order and what the cost will be. The Will of David CRAWFORD Esquire of Heworth, Auckland St Andrew was probated in 1826 so it is almost certainly the Will found on the Death Duty Register dated 1826 for David CRAWFORD where administration was granted to Jas S CRAWFORD of Newcastle.

They also hold the Will of John SCAIFE, Merchant, of Newcastle upon Tyne, dated 5 August 1797 and probated 12 January 1798. The site looks relatively easy to navigate, so you should have fun looking for any wills or info relevant to your family. Good luck

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 24-10-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: missing text

janbooth

Jeff,

David CRAWFORD's burial record is on Ancestry's Select Burials. He was buried at St John, Newcastle upon Tyne on 19 April 1825, aged 86, which puts his dob as c1739. This is confirmation of what Jean has found in post 16. The address given in the Newspaper report corresponds with the address for Jas S CRAWFORD in the 1826 Death Duty Index.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

I wonder what happened to David and Catherine's son John, born 1783? Can't find anything about him.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by catfordcrooner View Post
    I wonder what happened to David and Catherine's son John, born 1783? Can't find anything about him.
    Hello again
    Freereg has a poss burial St Johns Newcastleupon Tyne Northumberland
    22 Mar 1784, John Crawford, son of David Crawford.

There are possible deaths of siblings too.

Starting to feel at home

David Crawford bought Howlish Hall in Co. Durham in 1808. It's a huge big listed house and a sign of his huge wealth - now being used as a nursing home.
    He was a high quality silversmith. I have just seen an I. Franks website with a tankard made by him in 1772 priced at £4,295

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123