Merrygill12

Question Finding T E Peart

My grandfather, Thomas Edwin Peart, would have been 30/31 when WWl began. He worked for the Post Office at the time and lived in Dunston. There are no family records of any war service of that period (although I believe he did serve as an Air Raid Warden during WW2), nor can I find anything definite in these records. There are a number of T E Pearts, but none of them fits. What would have been a valid reason for NOT enlisting? or has anyone any other ideas on where to look?

Welcome to British-Genealogy

If your Thomas Edwin Peart is the one with his wife Sarah in the 1911 census living at 15 Moor Avenue Dunston Gateshead then his occupation may have been the reason he was exempt from service - Sorting clerk and Telegraphist
    Wikipedia says "A telegraphist or telegraph operator is an operator who uses the morse code in order to communicate by land or radio lines. Telegraphists were indispensable at sea in the early day of Wireless Telegraphy. During the Great War the Royal Navy enlisted many volunteers as telegraphists"

A post by our member fullscott Here gives some information and the reference to WO 363 is The National Archives site Here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs