Thread: New to the site

bryndolan

Lightbulb New to the site

Hi, I've just arrived to live in England from Australia. My interest is in researching the officers who died at, or as the result of their service at, Gallipoli, in 1915/16.
    My maternal grandfather was born in Teddington. He's the reason I can live in England. His father was born in Ireland. My paternal grandmother was born in Neath, Wales. My other grandparents were born in Australia. That's how I come to have a first name that's Welsh, an English middle name and an Irish surname. I was born in the Territory of Papua and New Guinea, when it was still part of Australia, and I married my English wife, who I met in Japan, in New Zealand. I've been a teacher and school administrator most of my working life.
    So I have a lot of interests, but as I said, my main one is the officers at Gallipoli. So far I've concentrated primarily on the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps officers (Anzacs), but I am also researching the British as well. It's a big job that I've been 'on' for more than twenty years now, but there's always more to learn.
    Well that's me. Hope to learn a lot and maybe help others out as well.
    Bryn

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Bryn

My great uncle was one of the thousands of ordinary soldiers killed at Gallipoli. If you are looking for a list of those who died a good place to start might be the Commonwealth War Graves site, where you can search by location as well as by name of casualty.

Good hunting.

thewideeyedowl

Default Places to look

Hi and welcome

Have a look at the Gallipoli Association website: https://www.gallipoli-association.org/. It is very useful.

If you are after officers, then you could start with these two, brothers who were captains and both killed on 12 August 1915 - Donald and Clayton Ratsey, 1/8 Isle of Wight Rifles, Hampshire Regiment. They were from a well-known family of sailmakers in Cowes, Isle of Wight. Check the website: https://isleofwightrifles.org.uk/thegreatwar.php.

Take a look at Europeana 1914-1918 - there's a sticky on the WW1 Forum here, so easy to search. Enter the term Gallipoli when you get to Europeana and quite a lot is sure to come up with links to the place where located, e.g. IWM. Often there is so much more for officers than for ranks; letters and diaries may have been deposited at the Imperial War Museum or the Univ of Oxford.

Hope this will get you started.

Must go now.

Owl