Default William George Nicholls

Hi
    Can anyone find me please the Parents of William George Nicholls Born 1884 Brentford Middlesex
    Married a Laura Ethall Jordan in Aug 1915 he Died in 1962 Isleworth Middlesex Cremated at Mortlake.
    Many thanks
    John

Wilkes_ml

Hi

Do you have a copy of William George Nicholls marriage certificate to Laura Ethel Jordan? If not, then this is the best place to start, as the marriage certificate will give details of the bride and groom's fathers and their occupation. You can get details from FREEBMD which will give you the reference: Sep quarter 1915 Brentford registration district Ref: 3a 573.

Once you have the marriage certificate, then you will have the information to help find them in the census and find a relevant birth certificate.

Certificates can be ordered through https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Brick wall demolition expert!

A birth registration for a William George Nichols (one ‘L’ only) is January quarter 1884 Brentford Registration District Volume 3A Page 56.

To find his parents you would need to buy the birth certificate from the GRO. This you can do on line for a cost of £9.25: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

I can’t see another William George Nicholls (either one or two ‘L’) in Brentford between 1883-1885.

Most people in the census are listed under 1 name rather than 2; so in this case that would be William, rather William George. I had a quick look in the 1891 Census and William Nicholls/ Nichols is a very popular name in Middlesex. There is one 1 in Brentford, but that may not be your chap because the name has only the one ‘L’. The references for it are: Piece 1024; Folio 121; Page 25, and in the parents names are Alfred and Mary.

I really would urge you to buy both his birth certificate and marriage certificate, because it is only by working backwards step by step that you will get there.

H Megan
    Thank you so much that Info I am fairly sure that is him they made a few mistakes with the one "L" in my family going back to the late 1700 s, but yes I have now ordered the certificate to be sure though, I will let you know when it arrives.
    Regards
    John

Name well known on Brit-Gen

John

The info you want has been posted on another site you have placed the request!

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by john.nicholls View Post
    they made a few mistakes with the one "L" in my family going back to the late 1700's
    This is a misconception, as surname spellings were not standardised at all until the 20th centurary. Take my great grandfather for example...my mum said it was PHILLPOTT with 2 "Ls" and 2"Ts"....so I wondered why I couldn't find my 2x great grandfather's birth certificate in the 1890s...I eventualy found it as PHILPOTS! In general, most documents were filled in by a different person, and even those who could read may not have necessarily checked the document for consistant spelling. Even documents written by one person could vary in spellings throughout the same document. And Shakespeare, who must of been very literate supposedly spelled his name different ways in a document! So just beware that surnames can vary drastically.

in the early 1800s I've had RUFF's change their name to RUFUS, DENNIS' change their name to DENNISON/DENISON/DENISSON....and I'm sure I have others.

Reputation beyond repute

I have now ordered the certificate to be sure
    The point of obtaining it is to get the parents names. BUT as Wilkes_ml has pointed out, you need the 1915 marriage certificate which will state (not always accurately) his father's name and occupation. It is this that will confirm that the 1884 birth certificate is the right one. One step at a time is the only certain way.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have you been back to the other sites you have posted NICHOLS requests on, I can see a request & reply in 2012

Hi Geneius
    No I haven't not sure which one your talking about but thanks for that I will have a look back.

I DONT BELIEVE IT !!!!! looking through all my paperwork that I have kept over the last 5 years I have come across my Grandads Birth Certificate !!!!!!!! and on it says exactly what I wanted it to say, that his parents were! Alfred Nicholls and Mary Elizabeth Nicholls (Formerly Powney). I honestly though that I had the wrong Nicholls after all them years of researching. Which goes to prove that you cant be sure unless you have the Birth/Marriage Certificates. Thanks everyone sorry about that im going to celebrate now with a very large glass of red wine lol.